Q. Few days after umbilical hernia repair, my belly button pops up about half an inch. Is this serious?

Dr. Raghu

I had an umbilical hernia repair 11 days ago. It went fine, but 10 days later when I laid down my belly button pup out one inch then went back down. The next morning my belly button is out half an inch. My surgeon said just wait for a couple of days to see if it goes back down. I need to know if I should wait or get in right away. The belly button is a little tender.

Dr. Raghu

General Surgery Surgical Oncology
#

As it has been only 10 days since your surgery, I suggest you wait for a few more days and see your surgeon if necessary.

It is quite likely that there may be a small collection of fluid in the region which may get absorbed or may need aspiration. It is quite unlikely to have a recurrence so soon unless the surgery did not go well. If the swelling appears on coughing or straining it may suggest a recurrence. It is best tested by the surgeon as attempting the same at home may precipitate a recurrence.

Take adequate rest. Be active. Take a good diet. Avoid straining or lifting weight for at least six months.

See your surgeon if it still persists next week.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

My belly button popped out after pregnancy. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a mother of two children. After my delivery, my navel has popped out and it has remained so even now. Please suggest some ways to get back my usual naval shape.  Read Full »

Is mild umbilical hernia after C-section curable with proper excercise and Ayurvedic medicine?

Query: Hello doctor, I had C-section three years ago. My stomach started bulging, so I visited a doctor and had sonography. So came to know that I have mild umbilical hernia 0.7. If I do proper exercise and follow ayurvedic medicine suggested by you, then is this mild hernia curable? Please help me with t...  Read Full »

Please read my CT scan and explain about the stomach pain.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from stomach pain for 10 years with diarrhea and constipation. Also, there has been on and off liver pain and pain around my female area. I got married for 10 years. I had five healthy pregnancies and nine very early miscarriages in between for unknown reasons. I have a h...  Read Full »

Ask a General Surgeon Now