Q. What are food modifications necessary to implement for controlling diabetes?

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Three years back, I was admitted in an emergency room for severe infection in legs and underwent a surgery. I was diagnosed with uncontrolled diabetes. I was prescribed with tablet Glimepiride 4 mg and 2000 IU of Metformin. I was advised to eat only three meals a day. I faced difficulties in controlling my diet initially. I track my blood glucose level everyday. It rises if I eat a half cup rice or orange. Please help.

#

It is advisable to take diabetic diet and avoid oranges or white rice. Maintaining an active lifestyle will also help. Consult a dietician for a normal BMI (body mass index). Check your blood sugar level in the laboratory once in a while. If your blood glucose test gives negative results, you need not worry about liver or kidney diseases.

|