Q. Can you please suggest a plan to help bring my sugar levels to the normal range?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 25, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 01, 2021

I am a 26-year-old female. I have been diagnosed with diabetes for the past four years. I take the following medicines every day: 1. Diamicron 60 mg before breakfast.

2. Gluconorm 500 mg after lunch.

3. Gluconorm 500 mg after dinner.

Due to the current COVID situation, I am unable to visit any medical center to perform diabetes-related blood tests. But I did test my sugar levels at home after breakfast. It was 346. I am worried as to how to consult doctors in this present situation. My sugar levels are not coming down. I eat normal meals in small portions like roti, little rice, snacks, etc. My last HBA1c tested six months back was more than 8. I use to take Jardiance before but stopped as I wanted to plan for my pregnancy. Since my sugar levels are not coming down. I am worried about my future. Please guide and suggest what action plan I should take to help reduce my sugar levels to the normal range. Appreciate your timely help in this quarantined environment. I have thyroid, too, taking Euthyrox 75 mg every morning.

#

Thanks for your query.

You have very uncontrolled diabetes. Your lipids are also very high. That means you are not controlling your sugar. Treating diabetes is not just bring sugar numbers down but avoiding complications that are associated with diabetes. It can affect the heart, kidneys, eyes, nerves, brain, and everything. First of all, you need to stop bread, rice, pasta, and potatoes. Eat fewer fruits, especially mango, banana, and grapes. Do not add sugar in tea, no sugary juices, ice cream, or chocolates. Exercise at least 40 minutes daily, even if it is just a walk. If you do not change the lifestyle, no medication can control your sugar. With time, your body can be then affected with diabetes. It is a dietary disease, and treatment is with diet only. The medication can only help when you change your lifestyle. If your planning to get pregnant, you need to be on insulin, and you need to have HBA1c less than 6.5. I do not think you are taking good drugs right now either. These will increase your weight, and that will lead you to have more sugar. Did you try Glucophage (Metformin) before? If yes, why did you stop? Did you try Sitagliptin? Jardiance (Empagliflozin) is a good drug as well. So, in my opinion, you should be on insulin in the present situation if you want to be pregnant especially. Otherwise, the drugs I mentioned are the best choices. Let me know what you feel. If you agree, we will start those. Thanks.

|