Q. At what age surgery for undescended testis can be done?

Dr. Vishrut Narang
Published on Dec 29, 2016

My son is 1 year 1 month 11 days old. He was born prematurely at 36 weeks. After birth, his right testis was retractile. The doctor has advised to wait till 1 year. Now, an USG of the testes was done according to the doctor's advice. The report shows that both testes are seen in the inguinal canal. Right testis measure 16 x 8 mm and left testis measure 16 x 9 mm. The impression is bilateral undescended testes. Though the report shows both testes are seen inguinal canal, we can feel his left testes inside the scrotum and sometimes right testes also. Why does the report show undescended testes? What are the treatments of undescended testes?

Dr. Vishrut Narang

Paediatric Surgery
#

• If on clinical examination the diagnosis is retractile testis, then nothing needs to be done we should wait and watch.
  • But, if on clinical examination it is undescended testis, then one should go in for early surgery. Ultrasound is not a reliable investigation in this case.

For further information consult a paediatric surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatric-surgeon

| 

At what age the surgery can be done?

Dr. Vishrut Narang

Paediatric Surgery
#

• The recommended age for surgery is anytime after 6 months of age. But, the final decision is taken only after clinical examination in uncomplicated cases.

| 

Can I discharge my premature baby from the NICU?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife was 5 months pregnant and yesterday she gave birth to a premature baby. The doctor has advised us to stay in the hospital for a long time. Is it advisable to do so? Shall I get her discharged from the hospital?  Read Full »

My premature nephew had body swelling when he was a week old. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My nephew is a premature baby. On the third day, his blood glucose level was decreased to 34. Later, he was admitted and kept under surveillance. His blood test revealed elevated bilirubin level. Four days later, his blood values become normal. On the same day, suddenly there was swellin...  Read Full »

What can cause sudden blurred vision?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years old. I have never had any problems with my eyes. I had a perfect vision. But, from yesterday morning I feel blurred vision in my right eye. I am an informatician, so I am in front of a screen every day for almost 10-15 years and I do not have pain in my eyes when I use...  Read Full »

Ask a Paediatric Surgeon Now