Q. At what age surgery for undescended testis can be done?

Dr. Vishrut Narang

My son is 1 year 1 month 11 days old. He was born prematurely at 36 weeks. After birth, his right testis was retractile. The doctor has advised to wait till 1 year. Now, an USG of the testes was done according to the doctor's advice. The report shows that both testes are seen in the inguinal canal. Right testis measure 16 x 8 mm and left testis measure 16 x 9 mm. The impression is bilateral undescended testes. Though the report shows both testes are seen inguinal canal, we can feel his left testes inside the scrotum and sometimes right testes also. Why does the report show undescended testes? What are the treatments of undescended testes?

Dr. Vishrut Narang

Paediatric Surgery
#

• If on clinical examination the diagnosis is retractile testis, then nothing needs to be done we should wait and watch.
  • But, if on clinical examination it is undescended testis, then one should go in for early surgery. Ultrasound is not a reliable investigation in this case.

For further information consult a paediatric surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatric-surgeon

| 

At what age the surgery can be done?

Dr. Vishrut Narang

Paediatric Surgery
#

• The recommended age for surgery is anytime after 6 months of age. But, the final decision is taken only after clinical examination in uncomplicated cases.

|