Q. What is the role of undescended testis in fertility?

Published on Jan 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 02, 2019

One of my testicles is not descended completely to the sac. I am 31 years old and not married yet. I have few queries regarding this. Do I need surgery? Does it affect fertility? Does it have any adverse effect on my sex life?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

This condition is known as cryptorchidism (absence of one or both testes in the scrotum). If one of the testes has not descended as yet, then ideally it may have become dysfunctional already depending on the location of the testis, if it is still intra-abdominal or in the inguinal canal.

There are high chances in such cases that the undescended testis may form a seminoma which is a tumor of the testis. If the other testis has descended, then it would be functional, and the chance of infertility is not there.

Get an MRI pelvis done and most likely it would have to be removed. Also, get a semen culture done to check the sperm count and quality as well.Please meet your surgeon soon as undescended testis is not recommended to be kept to sit this long.

I cannot understand my semen analysis report. Please explain.

Query: Hello doctor,The semen analysis report is in my hand, but I cannot understand it.Liquefaction time- 30 minutes.Duration of abstinence- four days.Appearance- creamy white.Volume 4.0 ml.Ph 8Fructose- Present.Motility- 100.Spermatozoa- rapid 20%, slow 10%, non-progressive motility 5%, immotile 83%.Vita...  Read Full »

Would my low sperm count have an adverse effect on IVF and ICSI?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39-year-old male with a low sperm count of 1.9 million. My blood work shows that I have a high FSH. Our doctor highly suggested that I get genetic testing done before we proceed with an IVF or an ICSI. I would like to know why he would suggest that.  Read Full »

How to maintain sperm count through treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. I am taking HCG 5000 and HMG 150 injection twice a week. My sperm production has started from azoospermia. We have done IVF and it was successful. My doctor asked to take testosterone injection, but if I take this my sperm production will...  Read Full »

Ask an Andrologist Now