Q. Why does my sperm not liquefy?

Dr. Raveendran Sr

My sperm does not liquefy for two hours. What should I do?

#

It can be due to semen hyperviscosity (SHV). Common in 12 to 29 % of men and can lead to male infertility.

Semen is composed of proteins essential to the coagulation and liquefaction of semen. Hypofunction of the prostate or seminal vesicles causes increased viscosity of seminal fluid- can be diagnosed by rectal examination of the prostate or doing an ultrasound pelvis and scrotum.

Infection increasing leukocytes may also result in the development of SHV. Oxidative stress and biochemical and genetic factors also aggravate.

Hyperviscosity semen does not have proper movement in the female reproductive tract and can lead to decreased sperm count. SHV is treated with a hypodermic needle, mucolytic enzymes, antibiotics and anti-inflammatory agents depending on the cause.

Share more details- your ultrasound report, blood report or hormonal studies done.

|