Q. Why does my sperm not liquefy?

Dr. Raveendran Sr
Published on Aug 03, 2019

My sperm does not liquefy for two hours. What should I do?

Dr. Raveendran Sr

Andrology Diabetology Sexology
#

It can be due to semen hyperviscosity (SHV). Common in 12 to 29 % of men and can lead to male infertility.

Semen is composed of proteins essential to the coagulation and liquefaction of semen. Hypofunction of the prostate or seminal vesicles causes increased viscosity of seminal fluid- can be diagnosed by rectal examination of the prostate or doing an ultrasound pelvis and scrotum.

Infection increasing leukocytes may also result in the development of SHV. Oxidative stress and biochemical and genetic factors also aggravate.

Hyperviscosity semen does not have proper movement in the female reproductive tract and can lead to decreased sperm count. SHV is treated with a hypodermic needle, mucolytic enzymes, antibiotics and anti-inflammatory agents depending on the cause.

Share more details- your ultrasound report, blood report or hormonal studies done.

| 

How to get treated for ulcerative colitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from ulcerative colitis for the past five years. I had a colonoscopy twice and sigmoidoscopy once in the past five years. I am 28 years old. I had Balacol 750 mg six times a day and Mesacol enema for a month. Because of short supply of Balacol, I cannot take it for one week...  Read Full »

Why is my sperm brown?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male. Two weeks ago, I noticed that my semen was brownish. Again yesterday and today, it is the same reddish-brown, and I think it is more watery than usual. I do not have any other symptoms. I do have a varicocele, but I do not think this condition is related to varic...  Read Full »

Why is my semen yellow?

Query: Hello doctor, My semen appears yellow on toilet paper, but white on the skin. I even tested the color on a plastic object such as a white plastic fork. It still appears yellow. I have this problem for more than five years, but I have no other symptoms. Please see the pictures and let me know if this...  Read Full »

Ask an Andrologist Now