Q. Can precum cause pregnancy?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

I had sex with my girlfriend seven days ago. I did not enter my penis into her vagina, but I rubbed my penis and a little amount of precum was there in her inner wear. Later, she washed her vagina with water. Is there a chance for pregnancy? Can precum penetrate and cause pregnancy? Currently, she missed her periods. She has thyroid problem and polycystic ovarian syndrome. She is under medication for thyroid.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• There are actually minimal chances of her getting pregnant as there was no penetration or ejaculation.
  • Moreover, sperms even if present in the precum are very fragile and get easily morphologically denatured on coming in contact with fomites like undergarments (cotton/ linen). Hence, it cannot fertilize the ovum and cause pregnancy.
  • Also, you mentioned that she has been on Diane-35 (combination of Cyproterone and Ethinyl Estradiol) which works as a contraceptive, though given for PCOS (for hormonal imbalance), once the chances of pregnancy are further negated. So, rest assured she is unlikely to be pregnant.
  • For conclusive confirmation, get a serum beta-hCG test done as in this week. If the hCG levels are less than 5 ng/dL, then she is not pregnant for sure.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

When she takes Diane-35, her period was regular. After stopping it, she missed her periods. During that time, is there a chance of ovulation? Through which symptoms she can realize her pregnancy? She takes homeopathy medicine (R28) instead of the allopathy medicine for last six days. Still, she did not get her periods. What are the causes? Is it fine to use home pregnancy test kit?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• She has been a case of PCOS for which Diane 35 was started to regularize the menses and re-establishing the hormonal balance for at least six months.
  • If the course has been shortened, then there is all possibility that the next menses may be delayed because of unresolved PCOS.
  • Ideally, there are no chances of pregnancy in your case. However, in any case a urine pregnancy test should be done to rule out pregnancy.
  • Taking homeopathy medicine could be another reason for not getting menses itself.
  • Considering the circumstances, there is very little or no chance of pregnancy.
  • Yes, you can use home pregnancy test kit, which stored under room temperature.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|