Q. I have dark hair growing around nipples, abdomen, and belly button. Is it a hormonal problem?

Dr. Saurabh Pandey
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2020
Female. 19 years old.
Hello! I am concerned because I have hair growing around nipples. Have hair on the abdomen and dark hair around the belly button. Also have a few stray hairs growing on the neck and chest and I have to keep plucking them out. Hair under the sides of my jaw, and fine hair all over the lower sides of my face. Lots of fine, dark hair on the breasts and between them.
Earlier this year I had tremendous hair fall but that got remedied.
Periods are mostly regualr, but they come early sometimes. The flow is a lot less than it used to be, and only lasts about 3 days.
I'm very concerned about all this hair growth. Could it be an issue with hormones?

Dr. Saurabh Pandey

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Hello, Welcome to Icliniq.

Hairs on the body of a female may be related to many disorders and in 2-4% of cases it is normal and not related to anything. Most common of them is PCOS, but since your periods are normal and there is no pain during menstruation there is very least chance of that too.

But to be sure I would suggest you to get a sonography done along with a complete blood count and hormonal assay. It will clear all the doubts and accordingly we can proceed with the treatment.

Take care and regards!

SONOGRAPHY
HORMONE LEVEL
CBC

| 
1 out of 1 likes