Q. How long can a double J ureteral stent be left inside?

Dr. Raja Ramesh
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jan 19, 2022

I am a chronic kidney disease patient, and there are multiple stones in my right kidney. My doctor placed a double J stent almost six months ago. I have not removed my stent. Is it risky? How long can I let the stent inside? Due to some problem, I cannot go for the checkup.

#

The stent has probably been placed for draining the kidneys. Depending on the stent material, indwelling time will vary. It ranges from three months for polyurethane stent to a year for silicon stent. Neglecting stents can lead to lots of problems. Stones can form a recurrent infection, worsening chronic kidney disease. The stent may get blocked and not drain, promoting the formation of cancer. And the worst part is the removal of the neglected stent may require multiple surgeries. Kindly consult the doctor who placed the stent and get it removed as soon as possible. If needed, a new stent can be placed at the same time.

|