HomeAnswersGeneral Medicineuric acid levelMy husband has high uric acid levels. Why?

How to reduce high uric acid?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At April 5, 2016
Reviewed AtFebruary 15, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I have attached the laboratory report of my husband. Currently, he is not on any medication. His uric acid is high as per the report. Please examine the reports and let me know if any supplement required. Thanks.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns.

The Probable causes

I will comment thoroughly on the laboratory results (attachment removed to protect patient identity) which are deranged ones and that is more than only uric acid or iron. 1. He has deranged high lipid profile and uric acid is also high. For the best of his health he needs to go for a regular physical activity and jogging. If unable to do outside, better to join the gym and keep it in routine. It will help him lower the numbers. 2. He also has to refrain from fatty and high protein meals. No proteins from animal source and no fats. This lifestyle modification can ensure better results for him. 3. For iron, he definitely needs to take green leafy vegetables like spinach, fruits such as avocado and kiwi. Along with this he needs to have salmon, skimmed milk, and an Iron supplement tablet like Fer-In-Sol. 4. He needs to keep away from any illicit drugs, smoking and alcohol. His liver enzymes are also out of range and needs strict control as said. 5. Spend 20 minutes in direct sunlight and remember to wear sunglasses and apply sunscreen lotion to avoid skin damages. It is better to take vitamin D normal. 6. He needs to lose weight and keep a balanced body shape. He is going towards prediabetes I am afraid. So, please ask him to reduce weight and keep the BMI (body mass index) below 24.9. Right now he has 31.88 and that is too much.

Investigations to be done

Six to eight weeks after starting all that I have mentioned above go for another blood work and revert back. 1. Fasting blood sugar levels and HbA1c levels. 2. Fasting lipid profile. 3. Vitamin D levels. 4. Free T3 levels. 5. Free T4 levels. 6. Serum iron studies.

Regarding follow up

Revert back with the investigation report after six to eight weeks for a follow up to a general medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif
Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif


Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Read answers about:

uric acid levelbmihba1c

Ask your health query to a doctor online

General Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy