Can Lisdexamfetamine cause bladder irritation or tightening?

Q. Am I having bladder irritation or tightening because of Lisdexamfetamine?

Answered by
Dr. Saurabh Subhash Pandya
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 13, 2023

Hello doctor,

I am a 41-year-old female, 143 lbs. I currently take Lisdexamfetamine 50 mg for ADHD. I have been experiencing bladder discomfort off and on for three months now. It was quite intense for two weeks, then went away for several weeks, and now is present again although less intense. It just feels like I have a tight bladder all the time and need to use the toilet more often. There is no pain or difficulty when urinating. I have had two negative UTI tests and a normal ultrasound. I have had a completely normal cervical exam as well. I have been taking Dexamfetamine since last six months, and the symptoms arose two months later. I am wondering if the medication is causing bladder irritation, or tightening, or if the medication is turning my urine more acidic and that is the problem? It has been suggested that I use an alkalizing agent, but that seems to be contraindicated with the Lisdexamfetamine. I also have learned that Amphetamine products can liberate Histamine, and that might cause bladder irritation? Can you advise what might be the issue if the medication is contributing and how I might best address it? I do not have a better option for ADHD treatment and would like to deal with this symptom rather than change my medication.



Welcome to

If you are having increased frequency of urination, night-time frequency, the urgency of urination, it may be an overactive bladder. It can occur spontaneously or be precipitated by UTI episodes, stone disease, medications, etc. In your case, the medicine may not be responsible. But anyway, we cannot change the medicine. You need to restrict your fluid intake to about 4.2 to 5.2 pints per day, limit intake of carbonated beverages, coke, tea, coffee. You have to avoid constipation. You may also get a urine test done for sugar to rule out diabetes. If frequency persists, you may take an anticholinergic like Tolterodine or Darifenacin after consulting your doctor. Take care.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I am urinating frequently after ejaculation. Why?

If there is no bacterial growth in the prostatic secretions and urine, empirical antibiotics usually have only limited effect ... I would suggest you have a testosterone analysis, PSA (prostate-specific antigen) testing, urod   Read full

My frequent urination problem stopped after I started masturbating. Are they related?

I used active bladder medicines, but I saw no response ... You have classical signs of overactive bladder or interstitial cystitis ...   Read full

How to control the dripping of a few drops of urine after urination?

Hello doctor, After sex with my partner, I am feeling pain in my penis and my testes are also too small. I am feeling weak after sex.   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.