Q. I am taking Trospium for frequent urination but having urethal discomfort. Is it due to Trospium?

Answered by
Dr. Sandip Pramanik
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 27, 2019

Hello doctor,

I began having frequent urination, and sometimes urinating every half an hour. I consulted my doctor and UTI was ruled out. I consulted a urologist and she did an abdominal and pelvic CT scan and no structural abnormalities were found. No cystoscopy was performed. She diagnosed me as having an overactive bladder and gave me Trospium and I am taking Estrace and Clonazepam along with that. I have some relief since taking Trospium, but I have been having urethral discomfort. Is this possibly because of the Trospium? Would the CT scan have shown any problems with the urethra? I did a urine culture and blood test also.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

You have been diagnosed as OAB (overactive bladder) since you had lower urinary tract storage symptoms. You need one USG KUB (ultrasound of kidney, ureter and bladder) and PVR (post-void residue) to look for post-void residual urine. You need to undergo uroflowmetry to see whether you have obstructed voiding pattern or not. Urine CS (culture test) is also required to exclude UTI (urinary tract infection). If you do not have UTI or obstructed flow or increased PVR we can suspect your symptoms as OAB. Now you were rightly prescribed Tropsium. Estrogen cream also helps to vitalize the local tissue and decreases local tissue irritation, decreases dryness in the vagina and periurethral area.

If your symptoms are still not controlled with anticholinergics, then we can add Mirabegron 50 mg. Timing may be adjusted according to the severity of your symptom complex. I would sincerely suggest you go to one urologist's office and get investigated and treated. I have tried to guide you regarding treatment options. You need to maintain a voiding diary too, ideally for seven days, but at least for three days to know the pattern of your water intake and voiding frequency and volume. It will help your urologist to understand your disease process in a better way.

Investigations to be done:

Urine CS, uroflowmetry, USG KUB, PVR, and serum creatinine.

Was this answer helpful?


Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.