Q. Why do urinary incontinence more prevalent during pregnancy and menopause?

Dr. Vaibhav
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 25, 2020

I would like to know about urinary incontinence in women. Why is urinary incontinence more prevalent in women? Why do pregnancy and menopause contribute to incontinence?

Dr. Vaibhav

Urology
#

Female, unlike men, have short urethra and less effective urinary continence systems than men as a part of normal anatomy. Female normal continence is dependent on normal sphincter anatomy, normal vaginal anatomy, and pelvis muscle strength. Thus any factor causing changes in the above-mentioned area can lead to incontinence.

After vaginal birth delivery, it is a normal process that the pelvic floor muscle becomes lax thus support system of bladder is reduced. This leads to hypermobile urethra and defected continence system. So problem like stress incontinence, urine leak during increase abdominal strainings like cough and sneezing, are increased and are typically common in elderly women with a history of vaginal delivery earlier.

After menopause, the loss of estrogens in the body can cause vaginal atrophy which leads to less urethral support and is again one of the causes of incontinence in women. It is important to diagnose the cause of incontinence so that treatment can be individualized.

Sling surgery, trans obturator tape, trans vaginal tape, are few surgical modality where support is given to bladder neck and urethra respectively thus improving the continence.

| 

Pregnancy test had two mildly visible lines, but it is now negative.

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex six weeks ago and my period was late for two weeks. I used the first PT when my period was five days late and it has two lines but it is not that visible. After three days, I tried again and it is already negative. Up to the two-weeks late period, all PT are negat...  Read Full »

Pregnancy and Birth

Article Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy.  Read Article

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy. It typically lasts for 40 weeks from the last menstrual period (LMP). A woman can get pregna...  Read Article

Is propensity towards sexual adventures outside marriage due to male menopause?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 57-year-old male. Happily married since the last 26 years to a very loving and caring lady. We have an equally loving daughter. We are a religious family, well settled, financially, socially and professionally, and by the grace of God, have no significant issues in life. My wif...  Read Full »