Q. Does my urinary meatus look inflamed or is it an infection?

Dr. Shahil Khant
Published on Jul 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 10, 2019

From the last five weeks, I have had an irritated urinary meatus opening. My urine tends to leak after I have urinated, and there is a lot of redness inside the pee hole. I have had a full STD test including HIV, and all came back negative, which was done twice. I have attached two photos. There is not much pain to it, just a slightly uncomfortable feeling, and I am not sure if this is due to anxiety. Can you please also tell me if a normal meatus opening should be clear skin or would it be like mine? I have noticed a little dark orange urine. My urine culture test all came back clear, but I still have turbid urine. I was told from my blood tests that it looked like an infection, so the doctor said it maybe a UTI, and I was given Amoxicillin. But, it has not made any difference.

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have seen the images sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The opening looks normal, there is slight inflammation, but do not worry. It is good that all your blood tests and urine are clear. But, it is better to have one antibiotics course and see if this gets resolved.
  • I suggest you try taking the following: Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.
  1. Tablet Doxycycline 100 mg, morning and evening for seven days.
  2. Tablet Pan 40 mg (Pantoprazole), morning for seven days.
  3. Tablet Flavospas (Flavoxate), morning and evening for seven days.

Thanks.

For further queries consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Thank you for replying. Does it look like an infection to you or just inflammation? My urine has also been leaking after I pee, and after a couple of seconds, I notice that my boxers are a little wet. Does this look like herpes or warts? My doctor just prescribed Trimethoprim 200 mg once a day, would this cure it? I have a referral to a urologist in a months time. What would cause this to happen?

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

• It is an inflammation and not an infection. Do not worry, it is not herpes or warts.
  • Urine leak is because of inflammation. So relax.
  • You can take Trimethoprim as advised, as it is also an antibiotic. If you take Trimethoprim, then no need of Doxycycline. Do not worry, and you do not have anything serious.

Thanks.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

How can inflammation of the eye be cured?

Query: Hello doctor, My eye was inflamed and I applied Pred Forte and the inflammation disappeared. I work on the computer a lot. In the past, there has been some redness, but cold compresses have been helpful. The redness is back again now. My eyes always go red after I wake up. I applied s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity) It appears to be episcleritis. I suggest you take a milder medicine but this too has to be tapered and stopped. I suggest you start Tobramycin plus Fluorometholone e...  Read Full

I have frequent urination and tests showed up 6 to 7 pus cells. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having frequent urination and tests showed up pus cells 6 to 7. I am having this for three days. I am having a feeling of voiding it even if I just urinated like one minute ago only.  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your suffering. From what you mentioned, you have simple urinary tract infection. Symptoms of UTI are frequent urination, painful urination, and change in the color of urine. Treatment: Trimethoprim 200 mg tablet twice daily for five days (in case...  Read Full

Why do I feel like urinating immediately after I pass urine?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36 year old, active male. My height is 6 feet and weight is 175 lbs. Previously, I had Zoloft for anxiety. Now, I am just doing exercise, eating healthy food and vitamins. I have been diagnosed with prostatitis a few times in the past few months. I was also diagnosed with this roug...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and treatment details. You definitely had on and off history of prostatitis in the past and now you are taking Bactrim (combination of Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim) since 3 to 4 weeks. I have some questions for you. How is your urine ...  Read Full