Q. I get pain in mid-abdomen while in an urge to urinate with a history of UTI. Please help.

Dr. Prathish Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 22, 2020

I am 17 years old. I am on my menstrual cycle and a week ago and started showing signs of a UTI and self treated with normal cranberry juice and lots of water to help relieve the symptoms. It started to work and I did not have any burning sensation in my urine and not so cloudy. Days passed and I was feeling fine. Last night, I woke up to use the restroom. A few minutes later, I had to go again and it continued for at least two to three hours of having to constantly get up and go to the bathroom to urinate and it was like every time I stood up I had to go again and my right side mid-abdomen started to hurt once I have the urge to urinate. When I laid down it hurt but in a mild discomforting way. I did not know what was causing it? Maybe it was from the workout today but what I did not feel like the normal post-workout pain. I do not know if my UTI had spread? Please help.

#

I read about your issue and I see that you are having repeated urinary tract infections. With the current symptoms of associated pain in the mid-abdomen, we need to check whether the infection has spread up to the kidneys.

At your age, the common cause will be a stone that is obstructing the ureters, causing infection and swelling of the kidneys and consequently frequent urination and pain due to infection. Also, with repeated urinary infections, we need to check your sugars. Do the investigations advised below and review back.

CBC (complete blood count). RBS (random blood sugar). HbA1C (glycated hemoglobin). Urine routine, culture and sensitivity. CT abdomen plain.

Recurrent UTI.

Tablet Nitrofurantoin 100 mg twice daily after food for seven days, Pantoprazole + Domperidone before breakfast for seven days, syrup Citralka 10 ml three times mixed with one glass of water for seven days.

Plenty of water.

|