Q. Should I take Amikacin injections for my UTI?

Answered by
Dr. Shahil Khant
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Oct 04, 2017

Hello doctor,

I am a 36 year old female. I am currently breast feeding. I am suffering from severe UTI since 20 days. My gynecologist suggested Ceftum, Citralka, and Urispas for three days. After taking the course I was fine for two days. But, after two days, the UTI symptoms came back, but not as severe as the first time. I continued taking the same medicines again for three days. Still, there was discomfort, though the severity had reduced. I got a urine test done and attached the results. My gynecologist then put me on Nitrofurantoin, three tablets per day for a week and from the second week, I was asked to reduce the tablet to two per day. I have taken a total eight tablets, but there is still a burning sensation while passing urine, especially at night. Is this medicine effective? Will my UTI be cured by this medicine? For how many more days will there be a discomfort? Do I have to try a different medicine? Also, my gynecologist told me that if this medicine does not work, I will need to take a five-day injection course of Amikacin 500. Should I go for it right away?

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have seen the reports sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You are suffering from a urinary tract infection with E.coli.

Nitrofurantoin is the correct medicine, as per your urine culture report. As the infection is severe, your symptoms will require some time to resolve completely.

  • I think you will not require Amikacin at present. I suggest you finish the course of Nitrofurantoin and repeat the urine culture three days after that.
  • Take tablet Cranpac (cranberry extract) one tablet each in the morning, afternoon and evening. It will help resolve the infection.
  • Drink adequate amount of water, up to three liters a day.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Was this answer helpful?


Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How to treat vaginal dryness and pain following a UTI?

Query: Hi doctor, A few months ago, I was suffering from UTI and followed by vaginal dryness. Right now, I feel occasional sharp pain in my vagina, which subsides after a while. Also, I am getting pain during intercourse. I wanted to know the ways to treat this vaginal dryness. I had urine and culture t...  Read Full »

Will UTI during pregnancy affect the baby?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with a UTI a few days back and prescribed Cephalexin 500 mg four times a day. I only have four pills left and some of my symptoms are gone but some still remain. I was told this is caused by strep B. I am 18 weeks pregnant and will be 19 weeks in a few days. I want the...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.