Q. I had two urinary tract infections within 15 days of interval. Why?

Dr. Saurabh S Pandya
Published on Mar 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2018

I am a 51 year old male. I had a urinary tract infection, and it was diagnosed as coagulase-negative Staphylococci. The laboratory report advised using Macrobid or Cloxacillin. Two weeks ago, I had Sulfa drugs, a combination of Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim and Macrobid. The infection came back within seven days.

The urine is cloudy with leukocytes and nitrates positive. Do you want me to try Augmentin and Macrobid now? I would prefer to use a narrow scope or spectrum Cloxacillin versus Augmentin. I have some a little pain in the urethra and no other symptoms than the cloudy urine.

#

You are having recurrent or persistent urinary infection. It could be due to incorrect antibiotic or inadequate duration or due to prostatitis.

You need to repeat a urine culture after retracting the foreskin and taking midstream sample. If your doctor can do a prostatic examination and massage, then a post-prostatic massage urine culture is the best.

You also may have an enlarged private, which needs a sonography and a uroflow study. Streptococcus are usually skin contaminants. Prostatitis needs 1.5 months course of antibiotics preferably Levo or Ofloxacin. Enlarged prostate needs alpha blocker tablets. And rarely, Chlamydia can be a culprit.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Is such a high dose of Levofloxacin necessary after implant placement?

Query: Hello doctor,I have just had a sinus lift graft and implants placed. The dentist has prescribed 500 mg of Levofloxacin every 12 hours for 10 days, plus Augmentin, plus Ibuprofen and Dexamethasone. My question is whether the Levofloxacin is necessary and why is it such a high dose? I have read it sho...  Read Full »

I believe I have chlamydia prostatitis. Please suggest a treatment.

Query: Hello doctor, I believe I have chlamydia prostatitis. Six months ago, I started showing signs of prostatitis. I had a hard time urinating fully, I had pain and burning, fever, clear discharge. I was put on eight weeks Cipro. My body did not respond well to the Cipro. I stopped and had a chance to s...  Read Full »

Is UTI contagious?

Query: Hi doctor, A few days ago I was diagnosed with UTI infection. I was put on antibiotics, and the ER doctor sent my urine for a culture. My doctor told me that Klebsiella pneumoniae is present in my urine culture and referred me to a specialist. What does it mean? I am 23 years old and sexually active...  Read Full »