Q. I had two urinary tract infections within 15 days of interval. Why?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh S Pandya and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Urinary Tract Infection or Ofloxacin? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 51 year old male. I had a urinary tract infection, and it was diagnosed as coagulase-negative Staphylococci. The laboratory report advised using Macrobid or Cloxacillin. Two weeks ago, I had Sulfa drugs, a combination of Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim and Macrobid. The infection came back within seven days.

The urine is cloudy with leukocytes and nitrates positive. Do you want me to try Augmentin and Macrobid now? I would prefer to use a narrow scope or spectrum Cloxacillin versus Augmentin. I have some a little pain in the urethra and no other symptoms than the cloudy urine.