Q. What to do for swollen and painful penis head?

Dr. Gopinath
Published on Jul 26, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 10, 2019

I am a 26 year old unmarried male. My height is 6'2" and weight is 73 kg. For the past three months, I have pain in the left side of my glans penis. At the same time, I have a continuous pain on the left side of the anus. The pain around the anus is not severe, but it is enough to bother and depress me. Sometimes, the pain increases, but eases if I wake up from sleep. The pain in the glans penis area often increases during erection and more if I masturbate. I am also getting pain in the left side shaft of the penis and in the area between the anus and the scrotum. My glans penis becomes severely red and painful during or immediately after erection and the redness decreases after some time. I have consulted with a urologist. He recommended a semen culture test and the report suggested a heavy growth of K.pneumoniae for which I was given an antibiotic Levofloxacin 500 course of seven days. The pain around my anus did not get eased and so he extended the medicine for 14 more days. But, my pain is still present. For the penis pain, he examined and said that my foreskin is tight, which is causing the pain and recommended circumcision. I agree that the skin is tight and my glans gets swollen during erection and skin is almost impossible to pull down. But, the problem is that during erection the skin is still in its position and I do not attempt to pull it down even then the pain in the glans starts. I remember that around three months back, I masturbated and tried to pull my foreskin down. When I pulled half it got swollen and then I ejaculated. This problem started from that time. So, I am afraid if something went wrong at that time. All other reports are normal such as KUB x-ray, ultrasound and urine routine. I do not know what to do and I am really depressed. Please suggest me something and help me out.

Dr. Gopinath

Urology
#

From your history and findings I am suspicious of chronic prostatitis, which is a longstanding infection of the prostate.

It is associated with pain in the perineal region, which is neither mild nor severe.

It needs to be confirmed with a per rectal examination in which prostate is painful.

It needs to be treated with tablet Septran 960 mg (combination of Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim) twice a day for four to six weeks. Please beware of Sulfa allergy and in which case it has to be avoided.

As far as the glans is concerned, you need not worry. It is just balanoposthitis or glans infection with foreskin involvement. If prepuce can be retracted, then it can be left as it is.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Why am I having burning pain in penis with yellow colored urine?

Query: Hello doctor,Burning penis (pain), urine color yellow, smell like fish or ammonia. Whenever I eat hot food or hot drinks sometimes the burning increases. I feel a little better whenever I drink water. Please give me medicine for the above problem.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can have acute urinary tract infection. For that, you can investigate with urine routine microscopic examination. If pus cells and bacteria present then urine culture can be done for further work up. It is advisable to drink lots of water and fruit juices. Avoid the i...  Read Full

Why does my penis get swollen after masturbation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old male, unmarried and had no physical relationship yet. Earlier, I have got circumcision. Now swelling of penis head is present. The swelling is more prominent on the left side but difference can be seen on all sides. I believe this happened two weeks ago, but I notic...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aamir Mohd

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kindly answer these questions, so that I can help you better. Do you masturbate a lot? If so, how many times in a week? Is it done by lying on bed and pressing your penis? Did you get fever since the swelling? Revert back with the information to an internal medicine ph...  Read Full

How can candidal balanitis be cured soon?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with balanitis about three weeks ago. I got antibiotics and was told by the doctor to keep the area clean and apply an anti-fungal cream. At first, it was super itchy and could not use anything tight. Right now I do not feel it but I can see as you see in the pictures,...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking at the picture, features are consistent with candidal balanoposthitis. It is quite severe. Please stop using Menaderm, Cortisone, both are steroid cream, that makes the infection grow rather healing it. Gelmicin has steroid along with anti-fungal medicine. Any h...  Read Full