Q. What is the solution for frequent urination after sex?

Dr. Shahil Khant
Published on Nov 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 20, 2019

I am a 33 year old female who has had meningomyelocele (spina bifida) since birth. I suffer from scoliosis of the spine, paralysis of the lower limbs and valgus of the feet. My bladder and bowel control had always been exceptionally good in spite of my condition. Before 12 days, I had sexual intercourse for the first time. Since that day, I have noticed that I urinate with extreme frequency for every 30 minutes. The urge to go is also very strong and holding it for more than 5 minutes has become impossible. I even wake up in the night to visit the bathroom. 12 days have passed and the symptoms have not abated yet. Is this a common symptom? Is it related to meningomyelocele? What is the solution? Please help.

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

Please relax and do not worry. I will explain you everything in detail.

• Meningomyelocele (incomplete spinal canal at birth) is a condition that commonly affects bladder and bowel function.
  • Since you do not have any problem with bladder and bowel function since childhood, this problem does not seem to be occurring because of meningomyelocele.
  • I think you are suffering from urinary tract infection due to recent sexual exposure. I suggest you get the following tests for detection of urinary tract infection.

1. Urine routine.
2. Urine culture and sensitivity.
3. Ultrasound of abdomen and pelvis with post-void residual urine.
4. Hemogram.
5. Serum creatinine.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment below.
1. Tablet Norfloxacin 400 mg in the morning and evening for five days to be started after giving a urine sample for culture.
2. Tablet Pan 40 (Pantoprazole) in the morning for five days.
3. Syrup Cital 10 mL (Disodium hydrogen citrate) in glass of water in the morning and evening for seven days.

Drink at least 2 liters of water daily.

Revert back with the reports to a urologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

What could be the possible reason for my mother's stomach cramp?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother has been suffering with motions and vomitings for a week. She also complained of severe stomach cramp every 15 to 20 minutes. Sudden sweating and nausea whenever she eats or drinks anything. She is getting tired even if she sits for an hour. What could be the possible reasons a...  Read Full »

Why is there a persistent low-grade fever in a 54-year-old female?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 54 years old and is facing persistent low-grade fever. She had it for almost a year and nothing was diagnosed from the tests and then suddenly it got fine. Now again she got a fever from some stomach infection and it has been 15 days that the fever is there between 99 to ...  Read Full »

I was treated for UTI, but mild irritation is still present. Kindly help me.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39 year old healthy male. Around two months back, I had slight inflammation and itching in my penis. It compelled me to urinate throughout the night. When I have seen the doctor, he tested my sugar, which came normal. So, he gave UTI medicines for five days. The burning sensatio...  Read Full »