Q. What is the solution for frequent urination after sex?

Answered by Dr. Shahil Khant and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.


Do you have a question on Urinary Tract Infection or Urine Analysis? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: What is the solution for frequent urination after sex?

Hi doctor,

I am a 33 year old female who has had meningomyelocele (spina bifida) since birth. I suffer from scoliosis of the spine, paralysis of the lower limbs and valgus of the feet. My bladder and bowel control had always been exceptionally good in spite of my condition. Before 12 days, I had sexual intercourse for the first time. Since that day, I have noticed that I urinate with extreme frequency for every 30 minutes. The urge to go is also very strong and holding it for more than 5 minutes has become impossible. I even wake up in the night to visit the bathroom. 12 days have passed and the symptoms have not abated yet. Is this a common symptom? Is it related to meningomyelocele? What is the solution? Please help.

Related Questions:
Please suggest medicines for parameters out of range in the blood test.
What is the permanent solution for testicular pain?
I had sex five days after finishing Norfloxacin. Will I get pregnant?

Dr. Shahil Khant
Andrology, General Surgery, Urology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Please relax and do not worry. I will explain you everything in detail.

  • Meningomyelocele (incomplete spinal canal at birth) is a condition that commonly affects bladder and bowel function.
  • Since you do not have any problem with bladder and bowel function since childhood, this problem does not seem to be occurring because of meningomyelocele.
  • I think you are suffering from urinary tract infection due to recent sexual exposure. I suggest you get the following tests for detection of urinary tract infection.

Investigations to be done:

1. Urine routine.
2. Urine culture and sensitivity.
3. Ultrasound of abdomen and pelvis with post-void residual urine.
4. Hemogram.
5. Serum creatinine.

Treatment plan:

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment below.
1. Tablet Norfloxacin 400 mg in the morning and evening for five days to be started after giving a urine sample for culture.
2. Tablet Pan 40 (Pantoprazole) in the morning for five days.
3. Syrup Cital 10 mL (Disodium hydrogen citrate) in glass of water in the morning and evening for seven days.

Preventive measures:

Drink at least 2 liters of water daily.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back with the reports to a urologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Related Questions & Answers

What could be the possible reason for my mother's stomach cramp?
Query: Hi doctor, My mother has been suffering with motions and vomitings for a week. She also complained of severe stomach cramp every 15 to 20 minutes. Sudden sweating and nausea whenever she eats or drinks anything. She is getting tired even if she sits for an hour. What could be the possible reasons a...  Read Full »
Dr. Sadaf Mustafa
Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please give me some more information. Did she have the diarrhea before or after starting Norflox (Norfloxacin) and Zolerab (combination of Rabeprazole and Domperidone)? Does she have fever and chills? Did she observe yellow color of her eyes or change in the color of...  Read Full »
Why is there a persistent low-grade fever in a 54-year-old female?
Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 54 years old and is facing persistent low-grade fever. She had it for almost a year and nothing was diagnosed from the tests and then suddenly it got fine. Now again she got a fever from some stomach infection and it has been 15 days that the fever is there between 99 to ...  Read Full »
Dr. Koushik Mukherjee
General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Did your mother undergo urine culture sensitivity? Because many of the postmenopausal or perimenopausal women suffer from urinary tract infection that is chronic and drug-resistant due to urinary leak and urinary urgency. Low-grade fever can also be there due to chro...  Read Full »
I was treated for UTI, but mild irritation is still present. Kindly help me.
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39 year old healthy male. Around two months back, I had slight inflammation and itching in my penis. It compelled me to urinate throughout the night. When I have seen the doctor, he tested my sugar, which came normal. So, he gave UTI medicines for five days. The burning sensatio...  Read Full »
Dr. Shahil Khant

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think you never had urine culture any time during your doctor visits. At present, it still looks like urine infection or urethra infection (urethritis). You need to get a urine culture and sensitivity. It will tell us definitely that urine infection is still there or ...  Read Full »

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Most Viewed

Ankylosing Spondylitis
This article discusses about the causes, pathology, clinical features, musculoskeletal manifestation, investigation and ...Read more »
Is having severe leg pain during pregnancy normal?
Hello doctor, There is a complaint of severe pain in both the legs in my wife who is 14 weeks pregnant. She is unable t ...Read more »
The pulse rate started to fall after giving Epinephrine in a 4-year-old child. Kindly give your opinion.
Hello doctor, I am reviewing the patient care of a 4-year-old child diagnosed with the flu. He was having trouble breat ...Read more »