Q. I have uterine fibroid and gets abdominal pain with fever after periods. Can I take Combiflam?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
This is a premium question & answer published on May 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2020

I am 50 years old. I have a fibroid problem for the last two years. This month after periods, I have severe abdominal pain and fever also. I am suffering for the past two days and I manage the pain with Combiflam. Please tell me how much doses I want to take a day and how long can I take it?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You can take Combiflam (Ibuprofen) tablets after food maximum up to three times a day. But however, I would like to point out that the fever and pain may not be because of your fibroid problem because you have been diagnosed with the problem long back. We have to find the cause for the same. Without knowing the cause for fever it is not advisable to take Combiflam, preferably please take Paracetamol or Dolo 650 mg for fever.

One possibility is degenerative changes in the fibroids, which can get secondarily infected and cause pain and fever, or sometimes a reproductive tract infection, or most commonly it can be even because of urinary tract infection. So I would like to know if you are experiencing any pain or burning while passing urine or if there is any increased frequency of passing urine. If yes, please get a urine test for routine microscopy and culture sensitivity to look for the infection.

We may have to start antibiotics because you are having a fever too. Please revert back to me with the necessary details to look for the cause of the fever.

Urine routine and microscopy. Urine culture and sensitivity. Ultrasound abdomen and pelvis. Fever evaluation recommended.

Drink plenty of water and fluids (at least three to four liters per day). Syrup Citralka two tablespoons thrice daily in half glass water for three days in case of any burning while passing urine.

| 

Can my abdominal pain after cholecystectomy throw me into SVT?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old male, 5'7", 235 lbs. I am suffering from SVT, degenerative disc L4 to S1, ulcerative colitis. Have undergone appendectomy (more than 10 years ago), tonsillectomy (more than 10 years ago), cholecystectomy (three years back). Medicines I am taking are Lopressor 50 mg t...  Read Full »

For uterine fibroid, how quickly should I get surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 46 and a mother of three children. I have been diagnosed with multiple fibroids a few in the anterior wall intramural and a few on the posterior wall and a bulky 134 x 74 x 87 mm uterus. The endometrium is displaced posteriorly. The symptom is mainly heavy menstrual bleeding that las...  Read Full »

Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

Article Overview: Fever is a non-specific symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This article deals with how to take care of a baby who is down with fever and when to seek medical help. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Child Health Specialist

Fever is not an illness by itself, but a symptom. It can be due to virus or bacteria. Viral fevers that come with the common flu or cold tend to subside within three days. They do not require antibiotics as these medicines have no effect on the virus. On the other hand, bacterial fevers like urinary...  Read Article