Kindly suggest a better way to cure UTI.

Q. I have fever, chills and diagnosed with UTI. Please suggest a better way to treat it.

Answered by
Dr. Sayan Mukherjee
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 18, 2023

Hi doctor,

A month back, I had a fever and chills. I was diagnosed with UTI. My doctor gave me Cefixime 200 mg two doses for seven days. It did not help me. After two days, it got resolved by itself. After a week, I started to have groin pain, suprapubic pain, kidney pain, burning sensation during urination, reduced urinary frequency, and a few drops of urine dropped during urination. They gave me Azithromycin and painkillers. After two days, I had vomiting and chills. Again I consulted a doctor. He gave me Sultamicillin 750 mg with painkillers for three days. Currently, I am taking Sodium bicarbonate and Ofloxacin. My ultrasound shows renal parenchymal disease and my creatinine remains high. My CBC shows that I have an infection and urinalysis also shows that I have an infection. I took this last week. But in this week, only monocytes and creatinine remain high. Is there any other way to treat this condition other than Sodium bicarbonate and Ofloxacin?



Welcome to

You have UTI (urinary tract infection) with acute kidney injury. Your symptoms recur frequently. Your reports are not so bad to be worried. You can do urine culture and fasting blood sugar after few days. Increase your water intake and it helps to settle your creatinine level. Maintain genital hygiene and have abstinence from sex for two weeks. You can take tablet Nitrofurantoin 100 mg twice daily for five days.

Investigations to be done:

You can do urine culture and serum fasting glucose.

Treatment plan:

You can take tablet Nitrofurantoin 100 mg twice daily for five days and take plenty of water.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Please suggest some medicines for my wife's UTI and hematuria.

Urine routine and culture ... Start above medicines after getting the urine sample, not before that ...   Read full

Is UTI contagious?

UTI - urinary tract infection caused by Klebsiella takes longer to get treated ... Recurrent UTI could be due to kidney stones, diabete   Read full

Can UTI be related to sexually transmitted disease?

I feel I might have urinary tract infection, as I feel slight burning while passing the urine, and once the urine is done for a few seconds ... Is this your first attack of   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Nephrologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.