Q. Is UTI contagious?

Published on Mar 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2019

A few days ago I was diagnosed with UTI infection. I was put on antibiotics, and the ER doctor sent my urine for a culture. My doctor told me that Klebsiella pneumoniae is present in my urine culture and referred me to a specialist. What does it mean?

I am 23 years old and sexually active. Will this bacteria cause harm? This year I have had about four UTIs, which is not normal for me. I am done taking the course of antibiotics. I was given a five-day course.

Could this be because the antibiotics are not treating it? Is this curable? Is it contagious? Should I stay away from sexual activity? I am trying to get pregnant. Please help.

#

UTI - urinary tract infection caused by Klebsiella takes longer to get treated. But, once cleared it should not come back.

Recurrent UTI could be due to kidney stones, diabetes, dehydration, involvement of upper urinary tract, frequent sexual encounters, etc.

I would suggest you carry out ultrasound examination of your abdomen to rule out upper UTI, fasting blood glucose levels to rule out diabetes and carry out culture sensitivity of the organism.

Antibiotics will surely clear your infection.

It is not contagious but can occur in the sexually active individual due to more chances of mucosal injury.

I would advise you take a good quantity of water: Ensure water intake of 2 to 3 liters per day. It will provide a good output of urine. The high output will clear urine infection by flushing action.

For further infection consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Are my UTI pills causing this heavy period bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question. Well, I had an STD. It was chlamydia, but it was cured. It was months ago. I recently had sexual relationships like two months ago, after that, I started getting a yellow discharge and I went to the doctor. They told me I had UTI. They gave me pills that I am taking...  Read Full >>

Dr. Umamaheshwari Mrutyunjaya Nilange

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The pill is not the cause of bleeding. You said your cycles are not regular. So, what happens is because the cycle duration is long, there are chances of heavy bleeding. Unless you have confirmed that pregnancy was not there (abortion can cause too much bleeding), ...  Read Full

Effective Ways to Reduce the Risk of Urinary Tract Infection in Women

Article Overview: In this article, I have discussed a few effective ways to prevent urinary tract infection in women. Read Article

Urinary tract infection is more common in women than in men, because the urethra is shorter and closer to the anus than it is in men. Bacteria have a shorter distance to travel and can reach the bladder more easily in women. The most UTIs are caused due to bacteria sticking to the wall of the bladde...  Read Article