Q. Can UTI be related to sexually transmitted disease?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

I have a question regarding my urine. I feel I might have urinary tract infection, as I feel slight burning while passing the urine, and once the urine is done for a few seconds. Also, sometimes my urine is cloudy, or milky type at the beginning of the urine. Leukocyte esterase came positive, and pus cells are 8 to 10 WBC or HPF. Please check the report, and inform me same about the disease, and what to do. Is this related to sexually transmitted disease by any chance? I had unprotected sex, five months ago, and recently tested for HIV and came negative. Is this something to do with it?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

I have gone through your query, I would like to know a few more details to answer your query better.

Do you have any fever or lower abdominal pain? Have you had any slowing of your urinary stream recently? Is this your first attack of UTI or have you had one before?

Your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) suggests that you have urinary tract infection. The next step would be to give a urine culture and start you on antibiotics based on the culture.

In addition, you will have to drink plenty of fluids to flush out the infected urine and bacteria. Once your UTI is treated your urine should become clear. As you mentioned any recent sexual contact can provoke a UTI, but it is not possible if it was five months ago. As you are a young male, it is very unusual to get spontaneous UTI's. This will have to be checked out after treatment with an ultrasound, residual urine estimation, and uroflowmetry.

| 

Following are my answers to your questions:

1. No.

2. No.

3. Yes.

I have given my urine for a urine culture to be done.

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

If it is your first attack, then there is not a great cause of concern. The first priority is to treat the UTI. However, it is best to get yourself evaluated at the earliest for any obvious cause for UTI.

| 

I might be suffering from cloudy urine for the past four months. 2 to 3 months after the unprotected sex, and upon checking the reports, I hope it is due to any STD or is it UTI?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

STD's are very unlikely to cause cloudy urine. It is very unusual to not have a UTI with your laboratory report of urinalysis. Also, STD's are generally more symptomatic and it is very unusual to last for 2 to 3 months without any overt symptoms. It is also possible to contract UTI's from unprotected sexual contact. The cloudy urine should resolve with antibiotics after your culture report.

| 

So it is definitely not due to STD as they have completely different symptoms?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

It is highly unlikely, STD usually cause severe urethral burning and discharge, which is absent in your case, makes STD very unlikely. It is not possible to say with certainty that it is not an STD. But based on the symptoms, it is most likely a UTI.

| 

What should I do next? I have already given a urine sample for urine culture. Since I have UTI, as the report and symptoms tell, will you recommend any medicine or antibiotics so that I can get cured? Also, will UTI be cleared easily from medicine? What has to be done next? Please tell.

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

As of now, you can drink plenty of fluids. Once your culture report is ready, your treating physician will prescribe you antibiotics based on the report. The drugs will have to be taken for a week, which will most certainly clear the infection, so there is no reason to be worried. It can be confirmed by a repeat urine exam after completing your antibiotic course.

| 

Thank you so much for the advice.

Is UTI contagious?

Query: Hi doctor, A few days ago I was diagnosed with UTI infection. I was put on antibiotics, and the ER doctor sent my urine for a culture. My doctor told me that Klebsiella pneumoniae is present in my urine culture and referred me to a specialist. What does it mean? I am 23 years old and sexually active...  Read Full »

Can you get STD if your partner has never had sex before?

Query: Hello doctor, My question is that if one has sex with a partner who has never had sex before, not using a condom, can he or she still get HIV/HPV or any STDS.  Read Full »

How to treat vaginal dryness and pain following a UTI?

Query: Hi doctor, A few months ago, I was suffering from UTI and followed by vaginal dryness. Right now, I feel occasional sharp pain in my vagina, which subsides after a while. Also, I am getting pain during intercourse. I wanted to know the ways to treat this vaginal dryness. I had urine and culture t...  Read Full »