Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Could you let me know the reasons for excessive white vaginal discharge?

Answered by
Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 22, 2017

Hi doctor,

I am getting excessive white discharge out of my vagina. It is leaving white streaks in my innerwear. It has has a minor yeast smell. But, I do not feel itchy or burning sensation. Please help.

Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to

It would have been better if you had given a few more details like your age, menstrual cycle, any other medical problems and sexual history. I will give the list of possibilities and their management here.

It is most probably a candida infection, thick white curdy discharge that increases after sex and periods. It will be associated lower abdomen discomfort before periods and after sex. Your partner may also have a burning sensation at the tip of the penis or on passing urine after sex.

Diabetes is another reason for this infection, so kindly rule it out.

If you are using tampons, then this infection may increase. This infection will have a rotten or fishy smell, as you say.

It could be an erosion of the surface of the cervix. The raw area can get secondarily infected and keep exuding watery or white or yellowish fluid with or without itching.

Excessive discharge could be remains of any vaginal pessary or medication if you are using. So, you need to change the medication.

  • Discharge could be from the inside of uterus if there is any small polyp protruding into the uterus. You will have excessive discharge mid cycle and mild extreme pain during periods.
  • Too much use of vaginal douches may change the vaginal pH and kills healthy organisms, causing more of harmful organisms. You will have to stop the douches.
  • If you are nearing menopause or post-menopausal, then it could be due to the atrophic changes in the genital tract. You need to meet a gynecologist for evaluation and hormonal replacement as per need.
  • Regarding treatment, meet a gynecologist and have a course of antibiotics and antifungals orally and vaginally along with vaginal washes. Also, you may get an advice to have an ultrasound scan of the pelvis to find the cause.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?
Can Terbinaforce plus be used for vaginal infection?
Diabetes and Eyes

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

May I know the treatment for vaginal infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got some vaginal infection. I feel itching, burning and some kind of cut and marks on my vagina. I would like to know the treatment for this. Please help.  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.