Q. Could you let me know the reasons for excessive white vaginal discharge?

Published on Feb 22, 2017

I am getting excessive white discharge out of my vagina. It is leaving white streaks in my innerwear. It has has a minor yeast smell. But, I do not feel itchy or burning sensation. Please help.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It would have been better if you had given a few more details like your age, menstrual cycle, any other medical problems and sexual history. I will give the list of possibilities and their management here.

It is most probably a candida infection, thick white curdy discharge that increases after sex and periods. It will be associated lower abdomen discomfort before periods and after sex. Your partner may also have a burning sensation at the tip of the penis or on passing urine after sex.

Diabetes is another reason for this infection, so kindly rule it out.

If you are using tampons, then this infection may increase. This infection will have a rotten or fishy smell, as you say.

It could be an erosion of the surface of the cervix. The raw area can get secondarily infected and keep exuding watery or white or yellowish fluid with or without itching.

Excessive discharge could be remains of any vaginal pessary or medication if you are using. So, you need to change the medication.

• Discharge could be from the inside of uterus if there is any small polyp protruding into the uterus. You will have excessive discharge mid cycle and mild extreme pain during periods.
  • Too much use of vaginal douches may change the vaginal pH and kills healthy organisms, causing more of harmful organisms. You will have to stop the douches.
  • If you are nearing menopause or post-menopausal, then it could be due to the atrophic changes in the genital tract. You need to meet a gynecologist for evaluation and hormonal replacement as per need.
  • Regarding treatment, meet a gynecologist and have a course of antibiotics and antifungals orally and vaginally along with vaginal washes. Also, you may get an advice to have an ultrasound scan of the pelvis to find the cause.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

May I know the treatment for vaginal infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got some vaginal infection. I feel itching, burning and some kind of cut and marks on my vagina. I would like to know the treatment for this. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please get yourself checked by a gynecologist internally. Also, get a vaginal swab test done. I suggest you apply the Candid B cream (Clotrimazole and Beclomethasone dipropionate) locally till then. Please consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicin...  Read Full

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Your sputum stain says that you have lower respiratory tract infection. However, culture is negative which can occur due to antibiotic consumption prior to sputum collection. Treatment would be based on your symptoms. Please mention what symptoms...  Read Full