Q. I got a water-like vaginal discharge for a week. Will it affect my fertility?

Answered by
Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 16, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am a 25 year old woman, who got married three months back. I had my last period, exactly a month back. This month, I got water-like vaginal discharge for a week. I was experiencing lower abdominal pain and pain in the vagina. I usually get my periods every 28 days, but this time my periods got delayed by five days. So, I thought I was pregnant, but then I got my periods. Why did I get this vaginal discharge? Is there any health issue? Please reply.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

How are you doing?

  • From your history, I do not see anything for you to worry about. Any newly married lady will have some infection in the vagina. This will be a combination of infections like viral, fungal, and bacterial. They are actually present in everybody's vagina, but sex will increase it.
  • Vaginal infection is transmitted during sex, so both have to be treated at a time, or else you will get infected again during sex. You may have white or yellow or grayish discharge with or without itching, foul smell, pain due to dryness during the beginning of sex. This pain may be radiating to the back or thighs. If you feel these symptoms are present, I suggest you try taking the following:
  1. Table Fluconazole 150 mg, only one tablet after lunch.
  2. Tablet Azithromycin 1 g, only one tablet before food.
  3. Tablet Secnidazole, two tablets after dinner.
  4. Later you can try taking caps Doxycycline 100 mg, twice a day for a week. Use vaginal wash twice a day and vaginal pessary, like capsule Candid-CL or Cansoft CL (Clindamycin and Clotrimazole), once at night for five nights.
  5. Your partner can local apply any antibiotic and antifungal cream, like Candid B (Beclomethasone and Clotrimazole), on the penis twice a day after wash for seven days.
  • Periods delay of seven days is normal. Before treatment, confirm that you are not pregnant. Both you and your partner should get treated at the same time.
  • Do not have sex till the infection is fully gone. Do treat it, as delay may send the infection inwards and may affect both you and your partner's future fertility.

Hope I have clarified your query, do write back. All the best.

For further queries consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

Thank you doctor,

I am eagerly waiting to get pregnant. If this infection is cured, can I conceive?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

An infection will make sperms and eggs unhealthy. Only if the seed and soil are good, you get a good plant.

  • If the infection persists in the wife, it will not allow the sperm to move ahead and can cause poor inner lining of the uterus, so the baby cannot find a healthy place to sit.
  • In the husband, the health of sperm will go down, so it will not move towards the egg, which will be waiting in the tube for the sperm. Even if the pregnancy is formed by such unhealthy sperm, the health of embryo cannot be guaranteed.
  • Do not worry, for a newly married lady, and infection will not be significant. It will get cured soon, and you will surely get pregnant.
  • Both of you have lots of water and keep passing urine frequently. This will wash out infection from the urinary bladder, which is usually simultaneously infected with genital organ. After sex, you should pass urine, as little semen can enter the bladder and can cause further infection.

Hope I have been helpful, do write back. All the best.

For more information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

Was this answer helpful?


Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have colorless and odorless discharge. Is it due to hormonal imbalance?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female. I am suffering from white discharge since the last four months. It is colorless, odorless with no itchiness and the quantity of the discharge is more than normal. Two years back, I had a similar problem for which I was advised to take Fluconazole 150 mg thre...  Read Full »

Are the medicines given to me for scabies correct?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with scabies, and now I am worried my family also has it. The doctor has prescribed Permethrin cream 5%, Ketoconazole cream, Flutas 150 mg, and Levocetirizine. Are these tablets fine or should I add anything more? What should I do with the furniture and mobile phones? I h...  Read Full »

Delayed period after abortion. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 23 years old. Two months back she had abortion. After abortion she is taking Folic acid and Ecosprin 75. Last month her period lasted for around 14 days and then doctor gave her Sandoz medication. This month her period date already has passed far off but still she is not hav...  Read Full »

Also Read

Holiday Season During the Pandemic
Most of us wonder if there is a way to celebrate the holiday season during the COVID-19 pandemic safely. Here are some i...  Read more»
What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.