Q. Why I do get a continuous green vaginal discharge with fishy smell even after having medicines?

Dr. C Elanchezhian
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I find myself in front of a very uncomfortable situation. I do not know what is going on with me, but I would like to find a cure. When I was younger, I was sexually assaulted and abused for three years. I believe then I contracted an STD, but I never got it treated because I was too afraid to speak. Days go by, and I find my self in front of green like discharge with a very bad fishy smell. I cover it as I can with deodorant, showering more often and the problems seem to calm a little.

But the truth is that after a while, these tentacle-like strings grew on my vaginal lips, causing very discomfort itchiness. After five years, I have been prescribed many different times the treatment for bacterial vaginosis, but the symptoms always come back. Every time I get sexually aroused this slimy clear discharge comes out of me making it super embarrassing. But the worse part is that my vagina is filled in the inside with these cottage cheese-like things that come out stuck on my finger when I put it in. These also come out during the day along with an acid like vaginal discharge that has no color, it is somewhat transparent, but it burns like acid is coming out of me. Kindly help.

Do you have a question on Vaginal Discharge or Bacterial Vaginosis?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. C Elanchezhian

M.D GEN,MEDICINE

You need not worry, as per your complaints and from your photos, you have bacterial and fungal infections. Do these investigations.

1) CBC (complete blood count).

2) Smear study from vaginal discharge.

3) Vaginal discharge culture and sensitivity.

4) Urine analysis and C/S.

5) Ultrasound abdomen. Wait for the results.

In the meantime start the treatment with,

1. Tablet Raninitidine 150 mg before food.

2. Tablet Norflox TZ (Norfloxacin and Tinidazole) 1 bid (twice daily) after food.

3. Candid Vaginal tablet (Clotrimazole) insert in the vagina and keep two times daily.

4. Apply Candex BG cream (Clotrimazole, Beclomethasone, Neomycin) external use.

5. Wash the pelvic area with salt water daily. All for five days.

You should not have any sexual contact until the treatment gets over. If possible, treat your sex partner. Otherwise will get reinfection.

Also Read Answers From: Vaginal Discharge Bacterial Vaginosis

I have postmenopausal vaginal discharge. Should I opt for a hysterectomy?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 52 year old female, who weighs 75 kg and I am 152 cm tall. I want to know whether we should opt for hysterectomy or not. I do not want to do a hysterectomy, as it may interfere with hormonal balance later. I have postmenopausal vaginal discharge, with a fair amount of red spots. W...  Read Full >>
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). According to the reports, there is an increased thickening of the endometrium, which is the inner lining of the uterus. A thickness of more than 5 mm is considered abnormal and often consider...  Read Full

Have taken Flagyl for Bacterial Vaginosis, Still have some itching. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old female. I had vaginal discharge. When I took Flagyl for BV, it cleared. So, I do not think it as an STI. Am I right?  Read Full >>
Dr. Purushottam Sah

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.Bacterial vaginosis can occur with or without intercourse and is not considered as STI (sexually transmitted infection).As your bacterial vaginosis got cleared with Flagyl (Metronidazole), you are fine.For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist onlin...  Read Full

Is there any way to treat BV while being 34 weeks pregnant?
Query: Hello doctor,Is there any way that I can treat BV while being 34 weeks pregnant? I had Metronidazole gel and suppositories and they did not work. The smell is pretty uncomfortable plus I have HPV. So, I do not know if that is associated with the smell too. BTW is BV contagious?  Read Full >>
Dr. Tara Devi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. BV (bacterial vaginosis) is not a sexually transmitted infection. You must be having associated fungal infections causing itching. Take tablet Metronidazole 400 mg three times daily for one week. Take capsule Clotrimazole vaginal pessary at bedtime for a week. Drink ple...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now