Q. Can UTI cause irritation in vaginal opening?

Answered by
Dr. Jimesh H. Mavani
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 02, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am having a lot of irritation on my vagina opening and when I scratch it, it feels good but it gets more irritated. I went to the doctor recently and I had a UTI, however I am still feeling very itchy and I am getting concerned. I am 22 years old and right now I am only taking the antibiotics for the UTI.



Welcome to

It looks like boil. And mostly it is UTI related (attachment removed to protect ptient identity). Continue taking antibiotics. Can be in healing phase and that is why itching must be there. But you can take Syrup Cital like liquid 2 times a day for 15 days. And can also apply Candid - B like ointment which will help in reducing itching. Do not scratch. It will increase the infection.

Drink more water. Keep the vaginal area as dry as possible. If you have white discharge per vaginal then can take Candid V6 tablets vaginally every night for 6 days. If not controlled with given antibiotics then may require to change antibiotics or antibiotics by injections.

Thank you doctor,

I have attached an image to show what it looks like in the inside.



Welcome back to

Looks like vaginitis. Can take vaginal pessary as I told before. Candid V6 like. As you are already on antibiotics. Need to continue that and complete the course. And if that antibiotics are not working then only change to next. Take other measures to prevent recurrence. Precautions as I told earlier.

Not looks like herpes. Herpes lesions are more painful and not itching. So keep the area clean and dry. Can take sitz bath two times daily. Need to take Potassium Permanganate powder for that. And lastly apply gention violet like antiseptic locally once in 3 days. But it will stain the area and clothes. So use cautiously. And wait for STD test. This will ensure the treatment to the point. So do take precautions and do not scratch. Can use local ointment like Candid B, can take sitz bath. And can apply gention violet once in 3 days. But do not know what will be available there over the counter without prescription. Hopefully this all will help to minimise symptoms and give support to your current treatment.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Is it normal to get blood in urine before getting periods?

.. not so common. Although you have a pattern of bleeding which goes in favor of bladder endometriosis. First thing which needs to be ruled out is a stone disease. Get an NCCT KUB done which will confirm or rule out stone disease. If it is not there...   Read full

What does the chest X-ray of a UTI patient show?

.. X-ray done shows mildly increased bilateral lung markings and a mildly enlarged cardiac shadow (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are no serious concerns about this X-ray. In the chest X-ray done a few days later, there is a g...   Read full

How to resolve vaginal itching and dryness?

Then, I suggest applying candid vaginal cream (Clotrimazole) at bedtime and take plenty of yogurt with breakfast ... I have applied vaginal wash, a clean and dry cream and Clotrimazole vaginal cr...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.