Q. What should I do for severe vaginal itching?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 31, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 27, 2019

I am a 28 year old married woman. I have severe itching in my vagina. What should I do ? Or why is it happening?

#

• Severe itching inside vagina is likely to be due to a possible vaginal fungal infection called vaginal candidiasis.
  • You should visit your gynecologist and get a high vaginal swab culture and speculum examination done for confirmation of diagnosis.
  • Once confirmed, you can be started on antifungal vaginal pessaries once a day for a week and also oral antifungal tablets concomitantly for treatment. Sexual intercourse would have to be avoided till the treatment course is completed.
  • Also I would recommend you to get an urethral swab test of your husband as well to reduce chances of recurrence in future as he can be treated concomitantly.

Revert back after the tests to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|