Why is my vagina very loose with a gap?

Q. Is surgical correction important for loose vagina with gap?

Answered by
Dr. Sameer Kumar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 14, 2023

Hello doctor,

I am 21 years old and five months postpartum. I have an embarrassing problem that my vagina is gaping open and very loose. I cannot move without air getting inside. My husband called me an empty pringles can and left me. It is that bad. It actually was that way already before I gave birth and I was always queefing it seems to progress over the years, it started when I was about 12 years old (was not sexually active until 19). Should I get a vaginoplasty and would it last or would it just go back to loose anyway after some time?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have seen the pictures which have been uploaded and there is indeed gaping of the vaginal orifice with perineal laxity and also decreased mons pubis and labia mayoral fat pad (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Ideally, after postpartum, one is advised Kegel's exercises to tone the perineal muscles for 3 to 4 months if surgical correction is to be avoided. In your case, where air is seeping in and it is affecting your personal relationship as well, it is suggested that you should opt for a cosmetic gynecology procedure under aesthetic medicine called laser vaginal rejuvenation by thermiva (instrument name- you may search literature if need be), which can help correct the looseness of the vaginal walls circumferentially.

Also, after re-evaluation of the results of the procedure after a month, then you can be considered for corrective vaginoplasty with perineoplasty with bilateral vulvoplasty, which would help you regain the aesthetics of the genital area and also your concerns could be addressed. Post-procedure you would be asked to avoid pregnancy for at least two years which would help the wall to repair and strengthen and results can be followed up in subsequent visits. So please meet a cosmetic gynecologist, get assessed and discuss your options in detail. Do not worry, this is correctable.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My fiancee had period like bleeding after first-time sex. Can you explain why?

.. of hymen during first-time sex can cause bleeding. Sometimes tears in vagina due to tight introitus can also cause bleeding. Rarely it may require suturing to stop the bleeding. Another possibility is that she had been menstruating when you had sex an   Read full

I have a problem to defecate completely. What to do?

.. a complex problem. Exercises like kegel exercise and medication can help. Urinary issues also occur due to constipation and dyssynergia. Use Docusate sodium 200 mg twice daily. It is a good stool softener, and you can use it for a long time .   Read full

Why is my vaginal opening is too loose without any sex?

.. you? Hope you are fine. I have read your problem carefully. There is some lack of information. Your age, profession, height, previous sexual history, etc. You should remember that a loose vagina is a myth.   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.