Q. I am afraid of taking Venlafaxine due to side effects. Shall I stop the medicine?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

I was recently diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and have not consulted an ADHD specialist. My doctor prescribed 37.5 mg of Venlafaxine for my anxiety and possible ADHD, but it made me feel extremely moody, sad, and sluggish. I have consumed one tablet for two days alone. I am afraid of taking Venlafaxine due to potential withdrawal symptoms. Is it recommended to stop immediately or continue until the side effects subside?

#

You are on a low dose of Venlafaxine (37.5 mg once daily) to manage your anxiety. Usually, the dose will be increased to 75 mg once daily after a week or so. In your case, consult with your doctor about any increase in dosage. It will take one to two weeks for you to get used to the medication, and then you will have the therapeutic benefits gradually.

In most people, side effects will wear off when the medication is continued for one to two weeks. If it is difficult for you to manage the side effects or if it does not wear off, consult with your doctor so that he can monitor you and switch to another medication if needed. Follow relaxation techniques like breathing exercise and progressive muscle relaxation. It will help to manage anxiety. I hope this helps.

|