Q. What is VSD?

Dr. Sirisha
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 14, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My daughter is 28 days old. During her normal check up, after Doppler echocardiography it is found that she has a small VSD. The doctor said that it is normal and generally by a year it will get cured. But, I would like to have a second opinion with you. Please help.

#

I have gone through the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Let me try to explain you the diagnosis.

• VSD- ventricular septal defect, is a communication between the lower chambers of the heart, which in normal should not be present.
  • The problem with VSD is that it diverts the blood from one lower chamber to the other. The one receiving the blood is overloaded and the overload pressure is transmitted to the next chambers, which are in line with each other, hence the heart is stressed.
  • Though they are present from birth, they do not manifest at that time.
  • Usually between 1 to 2 months of age they manifest with some symptoms like fast or difficulty in breathing, excessive sweating, fast heart beat and inability to feed properly. All these symptoms are related to heart stress.
  • But, the size usually decides how the baby is going to get affected. Small VSDs usually close spontaneously with time. So, we advise follow up at three to six months intervals. Large ones usually do not close completely and can create problems.
  • So, if your baby's VSD is small, there is high probability that it will close, and will not usually cause symptoms also.
  • You need to look out for the symptoms mentioned. If you notice any as the child grows, visit your doctor.
  • There are no medicines to close a hole in the heart. We treat only the symptoms caused by it. If it does not close, your child might need surgery later on and not now.
  • So, if your child is not having any symptoms, do not worry, just observe and go for regular follow ups.

For further information consult a paediatrician online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

The breathing is not fast every time and feeding is normal. But, my baby is crying while passing stool. The tummy becomes hard enough. I visited doctor and he prescribed the following medicines. Syrup Neopeptine five drops two times daily, syrup Decolic five drops when necessary and syrup Bevon six drops once daily. Please guide.

#

• If feeding is well, then no need to worry.
  • Is she suffering with the tummy problem recently or since birth? And what feed is the baby on? Is she vomiting? If she takes formula milk, then there is a chance for constipation. So, you can continue to use the medication given by your doctor. Sometimes thyroid levels need to be checked.

Revert back with the answers for the above questions to a paediatrician online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|