Common "Vertigo" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq


The feeling you get as if you are moving when you are actually not is called vertigo. Most people describe vertigo as feeling dizzy or feel their surrounding is spinning. The common causes of vertigo are changes in head position, inner ear disorder, inner ear infection, and abnormal bone growth in the middle ear.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I have semicircular canal dehiscence and patulous eustachian tube dysfunction. Can I fly?

Query: Hello doctor, I have two inner ear conditions. Both are somewhat rare: Right-semicircular canal dehiscence and Left- patulous eustachian tube dysfunction. What I want to know is whether I can fly- take an airplane without getting ill and sustain further inner damage?  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay. S. Bhat

Answer: Hi, Welcome to 1. Super semicircular canal dehiscence is a rare inner ear condition. In this condition there will be giddiness and imbalance when exposed to loud noise and imbalance, echoing of once own voice, etc. This condition usually does not get worsened by change in environmental ...  Read Full »

What are the symptoms of subclavian steal syndrome (SSS)?

Query: Hi doctor, I have pain, which is like pressure or something I cannot explain, but it really hurts. It happens in my whole left chest and my upper left-back. I experienced it yesterday. This feeling frequently happens after I have done some tiring physical activities or when I am stressed. My left ar...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thanks for the query. These symptoms are probably due to anxiety, but another cause is subclavian steal syndrome (SSS). In SSS, blood is diverted from brain to arm during exertion leading to arm pain, dizziness, vertigo, visual impairment, etc. SSS occurs due to blockag...  Read Full »

Based on my blood report, do I need any medicine?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 45 year old male. I have been on Omeprazole 20 mg and Thyroxine 50 mcg for the last four years. My height is 5'10" height and weight is 70 kg. I have hyperacidity and little vertigo. I am attaching herewith my latest blood report. Please advise whether any medicine is required.  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar M.

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have gone through all the data posted. All the reports are within normal limits except for the cholesterol level (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your LDL is 139 mg/dL. So, whether to start treatment for this elevation of cholesterol depends upon th...  Read Full »

I get bouts of dizziness and electric shocks in the head. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37-year-old male. I am getting bouts of dizziness as an electric shock in my head. I have some nerve twitch in my temple. I have done some screening tests such as stress echo, blood test, and holter monitor. All the results came back normal. My doctor referred me to an ENT speci...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. Dizzy boots are caused due to inner ear disorders including positional paroxysmal benign vertigo. Electric shock-like feeling in the head occurs due to trigeminal neuralgia. It is a condition where a nerve in the brain gets irritated and it ap...  Read Full »

What does it mean to have a sudden notch in the external ear with increased ear pressure?

Query: Hello doctor, A strange notch appeared in both the outer ears today. The notch seems to be firm, and it is not caused by mask use. It does not appear to be subsiding. I am experiencing high pressure in my ears. My doctor said that I might have immune system issues. But, tests have not been conduc...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from a dent in the middle of the outer cartilage. According to the pictures provided here, you may suffer from perichondritis, which is the infection of the tis...  Read Full »

Is CT or MRI necessary for diagnosis of headache and vertigo?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past eight months or so, I have had some problems with unusual headaches and sort of momentary feelings of lightheadedness, vertigo but it is like everything just shifts for a second instead of spinning. I have a background of stable migraine headache. I have had some face pres...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to You have been elaborate in providing your medical history and that always helps to form an opinion. Coming to your straightforward query, I really do not see any indication for a fresh brain imaging study like CT (computed tomography) or MRI (magnetic resonance imagin...  Read Full »

My head has been spinning for days. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor,My head has been spinning for several days and I used to hear some claps in my ears. The day before yesterday, some pimples appeared in my body and my stomach was very hot and I was vomiting yellow. Is it related to vertigo or to something I ate? I took Cotrim for pimples.  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abdelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The spinning sensation is due to vertigo which could be due to either vestibular neuritis or Meniere's disease in both conditions cause vertigo. In order to identify the cause, please provide me with more details: Do you have any hearing defect? Any similar episodes...  Read Full »

I have left-sided headaches accompanied by nausea, heaviness, and vertigo. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a headache, especially on the left side, but sometimes the entire head. When the headache is severe, I have nausea, heaviness, and vertigo. And sometimes, I have blurred vision. I have got my eyes checked, and there is a difference of 0.25 in both eyes. Kindly suggest to me what...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Your symptoms are suggestive of migraines. Do not worry as anything serious is going on. For this reason, I recommend discussing with your doctor the possibility of starting preventing therapy (Verapamil or Propranolol) to reduce the frequency and severity of hea...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for my father's blood sugar?

Query: Hello doctor, My 47-year-old father's blood sugars are fluctuating. A month ago he was not taking any medication and was not performing any exercise. At that time, his sugars were around 380 mg/dL. Now he is doing some yoga and playing volleyball. Suddenly, his sugars decreased a lot to around 100 m...  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. You have not mentioned if your father is currently taking any medication for blood sugar control. If he is still not taking any medication and has managed to control blood sugar just by diet and exercise, his efforts are really great. For l...  Read Full »

I am having episodes of vertigo and nausea. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30-year-old woman. I have been having rough episodes of vertigo and nausea along with violent shaking that seems to be coming from my shoulders. I have pins and needles all the way down to my legs. I went to the ER twice because my condition suddenly and abruptly worsened. The d...  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay. S. Bhat

Answer: Hello,Welcome to vertigo and nausea and associated neck pain which is radiating to shoulders and hands are suggestive of a rare form of vertigo known as cervical vertigo. Usually, the causes of cervical vertigo are acute cervical spine injury, cervical spondylosis, cervical spo...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.