Q. Can draining eustachian tube improve vertigo?

Dr. Vinay. S. Bhat

I have been having vertigo for over five weeks. I was prescribed Doxycycline and Mescline. Unfortunately, the Mescline did not make me feel better. I think my issue is that my eustacian tubes are clogged and need to be drained. How can I do this? Is there a medicine?

#

Ear blocking sensation with vertigo for five weeks especially if it is bilateral is unlikely to be due to eustachian tube dysfunction. Eustachian tube dysfunction in general does not cause significant vertigo unless there is associated infection of middle ear or fluid in the middle ear. Since you do not have pain, it iis unlikely to be due to infection of middle ear. So possible cause can be fluid in the middle ear (glue ear) which is usually due to long standing eustachian tube dysfunction. Most of the times it is a self resolving condition.

Treatment for this condition is symptomatic with anti-vertigo medicines such as Cinnarazine or Betahistine taken every day for a week. For fluid in the middle ear you can use decongestant nose sprays such as Oxymetazoline or Xylometazoline. Steam inhalation two times daily also can be beneficial. If these medicines do not work, then detailed examination of ear for inner ear dysfunction and hearing tests such as Pure Tone Audiogram and Tympanogram may be required.

Can I use any over the counter ear drops ?
# Since it's a middle ear related condition, ear drops are generally not useful. Eustachian tube can be approached only through nose. So any decongestant nose drops can be helpful

|