Q. Why is there cold with watery eyes and blocked nose?

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

I am suffering from a cold, sore throat and ear pain. Even I have watery eyes for the past two days. Last night I took Cetirizine and Paracetamol and today morning I took Paracetamol and Lozenges but it is not decreasing at all. I got more secretion and blocked nose. What can I do for this? Please help me out. I am 23 years old, 40 kg, 149 cm.

#

It looks like a common cold, viral in nature, usually, antibiotics are not needed and self-limiting but chances of superimposition by a bacterial infection is there. As due to ear pain, likely secondary to eustachian tube blockage, fluid collection inside the middle ear and chances of the bacterial infection, you need some aggressive measures.

I would like to start antibiotics Augmentin 625 mg three times daily for three days, continue Cetirizine, and take Ibuprofen 400 mg twice daily with the meal instead of Tylenol. I would recommend using warm moist inhalation (boiling water mist) once or twice daily.

| 

What could be the reason for my one-sided headache?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26-year-old male. My height is 160 cm and I weigh 55 kg. I have a severe one-sided headache. Please help.  Read Full »

Can I take Combiflam for fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a fever and cold for the past three days. I am taking Calpol and Combiflam. How can I get cured?  Read Full »

Is surgery needed for blocked nose and enlargement of nasal bone?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend has been diagnosed with acute sinusitis. He underwent CT scan of the sinuses and was recommended surgery due to blocked nose and enlargement of the nasal bone. Please recommend if surgery can be avoided. I have attached his CT scan report.  Read Full »