Q. Why is there cold with watery eyes and blocked nose?

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

I am suffering from a cold, sore throat and ear pain. Even I have watery eyes for the past two days. Last night I took Cetirizine and Paracetamol and today morning I took Paracetamol and Lozenges but it is not decreasing at all. I got more secretion and blocked nose. What can I do for this? Please help me out. I am 23 years old, 40 kg, 149 cm.

#

It looks like a common cold, viral in nature, usually, antibiotics are not needed and self-limiting but chances of superimposition by a bacterial infection is there. As due to ear pain, likely secondary to eustachian tube blockage, fluid collection inside the middle ear and chances of the bacterial infection, you need some aggressive measures.

I would like to start antibiotics Augmentin 625 mg three times daily for three days, continue Cetirizine, and take Ibuprofen 400 mg twice daily with the meal instead of Tylenol. I would recommend using warm moist inhalation (boiling water mist) once or twice daily.

|