Q. What are the precautions to be taken for an infant while flying?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 19, 2015 and last reviewed on: Sep 08, 2018

I want to fly my three months old infant on June 27th. What are the precautions to be taken while flying? Should I carry any medications with me?

Please advise.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually infants are more vulnerable for flight related issues. They may appear anxious and irritable due to change in height. Main issues are nausea, vomiting and eustachian tube blockage. Precautions to be taken while flying:

• Ensure that your baby does not have URI (Upper Respiratory Infection) symptoms as this may lead to eustachian tube blockage. If he or she has this problem discuss with your paediatrician before flying.
  • Keep breastfeeding or give pacifier to your baby while taking off and landing. Continous chewing and suckling movements protect the child from ear related and nauseating problems. This action keeps the eustachian tube in opened condition and hence prevents nausea and vomiting
  • You can take OTEK-AC (Chloramphenicol/ Beclomethasone/ Clotrimazole/ Lignocaine) ear drops to instil if the baby feels pain and cries.

By following the above mentioned measures you can travel with your baby without any problems. Wish you a happy and safe journey.

Consult a paediatrician online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|