Q. My sister lost her vision due to TB. Is it possible to get the vision back?

Dr. Chandan Mohanty
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2020

My sister is 33 years old. She has been suffering from vision loss for five years. At the time of treatment, it was diagnosed as TB. Since from then, she has been taking all the medicines for the disease till it cures completely. Now, she has undergone the MRI of the brain. I am attaching the report and please provide us the analysis of the attached report. Also, please let us know whether she can get her vision back. If yes, then please let us know in which that is possible? Either surgical or non-surgical?

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

Sorry to hear this.

• Based on the MRI reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it seems that there has been damage to the optic nerves, which is responsible for eyesight, due to tuberculosis.
  • Unfortunately, her vision loss is longstanding and in general the chance of vision restoration is very low.
  • However, it is very difficult to comment on this without more clinical details, examination of the patient and thorough analysis of the MRI films.
  • I will suggest you to get a complete ophthalmological workup done, since that will tell us the current vision status and the possibility of any improvement.
  • In addition, of concern in the present scan is the presence of tuberculomas, which means the TB in her brain may not have completely been eradicated.
  • Please see a neurosurgeon for a detailed workup. She may also need to restart TB medications again.

For further doubts consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

|