Q. Which one should I opt for a vision problem, a laser treatment or specs?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jun 24, 2019

I would like to know to weather the laser treatment is better than continuing specs for vision. What would be the drawbacks of laser treatment, is it very complicated?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

This is quite a common question youngsters ask. The best answer to this is it depends on you and your daily activities, profession, and lifestyle, etc. For example, if you want to take up professional sports, modeling, enjoy adventure sports, few jobs in the armed forces, getting a surgery done would be quite necessary.

On the other hand, if you want to pursue higher studies and professions where you work a lot with computers and work on fine parts like watchmaking, then surgery would put you at a slight disadvantage as it slightly reduces image quality and increases chances of getting dry eye diseases. Some surgeons also prefer wearing glasses as it protects against infection and blood spurts during operations.

With the latest equipment and techniques, laser refractive surgery is quite safe, and outcomes are good. The risk involved is very less. Although a power of - 5.0 is on the higher side, we can still expect good results given that your corneas are suitable for the surgery.

The main thing to consider is of course long term outcomes are,

1. As a woman, your power will naturally change during pregnancy and lactation, and this happens to all women. Some have more, others less. This is unpredictable.

2. Surgery only corrects you for distance vision. Another natural change in eyes is presbyopia. Here you need to wear reading glasses. So even if you were to get surgery now, you would only remain glasses free for up to around 40 years of age after which you need reading glasses.

I hope this answers your doubts. In case you have any further questions please let me know.

Does laser hair removal help with acne?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21-year-old man. I would like to ask your opinion about laser hair removal. I have read a lot in the last days and almost everywhere it is said that it is not bad for your health and body and one of the best ways to deal with hair. I am thinking about doing laser removal of hai...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The laser is a safe, painless and permanent method to get rid of unwanted hairs. It is called laser hair reduction to be more precise. Let me explain to you how this laser works: When the laser is passed through the skin, it targets melanocyte (pigment-producing...  Read Full

If I do not wear spectacles for an hour,will it increase my eye power?

Query: Hello Doctor, If I do not wear spectacles for an hour everyday, will it increase my eye power or damage my eyes?  Read Full >>

Dr. Dada Peer K
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed your history. Ideally speaking spectacles should be worn always. However, not wearing spectacles for one hour will not cause much increase in eye power. Hence no need to worry. But make sure you do not forget to wear your spectacles and do not strain your ey...  Read Full

Does laser surgery cause dry eyes?

Query: Hello doctor, I had laser surgery on both my eyes 15 years back, and it was not very successful. My eye sight power came back along with the cylindrical power. My power has been stable for the last 10 years. Now my vision has become 6/4. But, I found out that I have dry eyes ever since. If I use ...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. Dry eye syndrome also called as sicca syndrome is due to the inability of the tear glands to produce enough tears. It is sometimes associated with dry mouth and positive antibodies like anti-Ro and anti-La, in which case, it is called Sjogr...  Read Full