Q. My child is refusing food. What can be the reason?

Dr. Sirisha
This is a premium question & answer published on May 31, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 04, 2021

My child is 1.5 years old and he weighs 11.9 kg. He is playful and looks energized but refusing food. Is it normal? Kindly suggest any treatment if needed. Thank you.

#

• For a 1.5 year old, the weight is good. Usually kids of this age group tend to be more interested in their surroundings and play, so will refuse food and might be choosy.
  • If child is healthy and growing according to his age norms such as able to walk by now, says few words with meaning, understands your commands then you should not be worried.
  • Nevertheless, any vitamin or iron deficiency, which is quite common, should be looked for.
  • Regarding diet, he can have all the regular food prepared at home including egg, non-vegetarian foods and nuts. See that he has a fruit every day.
  • Milk as usual but not more than 500 mL in a day and you can give full cream milk until two years, if he is not on breastfeeding.
  • If you think his palms are more whitish than pink, he might need a hemoglobin check and Iron syrup. I am suggesting a multivitamin as of now. Please consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him/her and give the medicine with consent.

Vitamin or iron deficiency.

Syrup Kidicare plus 5 mL once a day for two months.

For further information consult a paediatrician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Yes, he is walking and sometimes he run on road, repeat the words that we say and understand what we say. His palm is also pink. He takes water as usual in good quantity. But for the last four to five days, he is completely refusing food. Earlier, he was taking cooked dalia moong dal, soybean and nut mix, kheer made with semolina milk, nuts and complan. He was taking all these easily while watching cartoon, but now he refused dalia mix completely. Since last four days, he is taking kheer in very low quantity. Yes, he is breastfeeding well and taking few snacks in little quantity. One thing we saw is his stool, which become slight solid than semisolid and he pass gas after taking food. Kindly suggest in detail.

#

• If this is a recent change, see if he has fever. Stool hardness is because he is not eating much.
  • If he is active, nothing much to worry, but you can take to doctor for general checkup.
  • Sometimes, change in season can cause some decreased appetite.
  • Passing gas can be normal or sometimes can be due to stomach infection. Just wait for few more days and if it does not improve take him to the doctor. Give the suggested medicine.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|