Q. Is Mymox used to stop lactation?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

My wife wants to stop breastfeeding our ten months old daughter because our daughter is healthy and weighs 12 kg. We gave her store-bought milk so that she does not form a habit of sucking mother's milk. My wife's breast milk quantity is enough to satisfy our daughter's needs. But our daughter has the habit of waking up in the night many times, and she starts crying, my wife has to breastfeed her the whole night. As a result, my wife has lost so much energy and she feels very weak in the morning. My wife is 27 years old, and she visited a local doctor for a consultation about how to stop milk production from the breast. The doctor gave her Mymox 500 mg, and she said that for a couple of days not to feed the breast milk to our daughter nor to throw away. And she said that after two days, the breast milk would automatically dry up and then natural milk production stops in the breast. It is becoming very painful for my wife from the past 2 to 3 days. My wife has stored the breast milk from the last 2 to 3 days. Is this medication good? What can be done in this situation?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

• Mymox (Amoxicillin) is an antibiotic and has nothing to do with lactation or milk production.
  • Sudden weaning of baby may lead to both physical and emotional effects on both the mother and her baby. Gradual weaning is good.
  • Medical suppression of lactation is not advised due to accompanying untoward effects. Try doing the following.
  1. Try using supportive padded bras.
  2. Manual expression of the milk just enough to relieve pain or engorgement.
  3. Do not empty the breasts at a time. Frequency and time for emptying vary.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|