Q. Doctor suggested baby food and dairy milk for my 7-month-old kid. Is dairy milk good for my baby?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

My baby girl entered seventh month a few days back. Doctor here suggested to feeding my baby with Medolac apple flavor two times a day and dairy milk. We started the same for 10 days, and the baby did not have any allergy or problems. But still, I have a doubt. Is dairy milk good for my baby? If not, suggest me what to feed with alternatives?

#

You have asked an appropriate question related to weaning your baby girl. Her growth (height and weight) looks good. You may know that it is a usual practice to start weaning the baby after he/she completes six months of age. There are several ways of doing it.

First, if you are breastfeeding continue doing it. Your doctor has prescribed Medolac apple flavor which is a complementary food containing cereals, vitamins, and minerals. If your baby likes the taste and has got used to this food, you can continue with the same brand. If your baby is not tolerating the current brand you can try other brands like Nestle Nan Pro 2. Whatever brand you are using, make sure you dilute to adequate consistency as recommended by the manufacturers. Do not make the food too thick or too liquid. Allow plenty of time for your baby to eat at her own pace.

Regarding dairy milk, I presume you mean cow's milk. Cow's milk can be mixed with food from around six months of age, but generally discouraged to give as a drink until your baby is 9 months to 1 year old. This is because drinking too much milk can interfere with your baby eating other energy rich food and cause iron deficiency. So it is fine to give small amounts of cow's milk along with other weaning foods. After nine months, you can gradually increase the amount of milk given to your baby.

You can gradually introduce mashed fruits and vegetables. Start with a single fruit or vegetable, one at a time. You can give mashed banana for a week and then start mashed potato. Like this, you can try different soft foods. Avoid hard foods until your baby is able to swallow better. Do not add extra sugar or salt to baby's food at this age.

Overall, there are different weaning choices and there is no right or wrong way. As long as your baby eats adequate amounts of varied foods and gets all the nutrients they need, it is fine.

Keep monitoring your baby's growth and development whenever you visit your doctor for vaccinations.

|