Q. I am losing weight rapidly. I have been taking supplements. But they are of no help.

Dr. Ramkesh Prasad
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 05, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 17, 2018

I am losing weight rapidly. I have been taking supplements. But they are of no help. What do I do?

#

You are losing weight and you are taking supplements and even then you are not gaining weight. Your history is incomplete. I need to know a detailed history before I can suggest you any remedy.

I would like to tell you that, if you are losing weight rapidly, then there is some underlying issue to be taken care of. Few common causes of rapid weight loss are: hyperthyroidism, tuberculosis, diabetes mellitus, and acute disease.

Symptoms related to the above-mentioned diseases are:

1. Hyperthyroidism: Feeling of warmth even during cold weather, increased appetite but no weight gain, diarrhea, scanty menstruation, etc.
  2. Tuberculosis: Cough, evening rise of temperature, loss of appetite, weight loss.
  3. Diabetes: Increased frequency of urination (polyuria), increased thirst (polydipsia), increased appetite (polyphagia) and weight loss.

I would request you to kindly share your detailed history so that I can reach a differential diagnosis and suggest you measures to gain weight.Other than this, eat well and eat on time. Banana promotes weight gain and also drink adequate water.

Revert back with the details to a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|