Q. I have white coat hypertension. Should I take Xanax before an appointment?

Dr. Ilir Sharka
Published on Mar 14, 2018

I am a 71-year-old female. I have white coat hypertension. I have had this all my life. I have been to numerous psychologists and therapists. I am in good health and take 1 mg of Synthroid daily. When I go to the doctor's office my BP goes sky high. At home, it is around 120/70. I went to the doctor last Monday. Just before leaving for the appointment at home it was 140/80. At the appointment, it was 180/90, and the pulse was 123. I got home an hour later. It was 120/75 again. I have a great fear of high BP since I was a child. At my last appoinment, I took Xanax 37.5. It is the first time ever I have taken any meds like that hoping that would calm me down. I guess it did not work. I am so worried that that high number will kill me. I am so tired of worrying about it.

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiology
#

These blood pressure spikes related to white coat syndrome are not dangerous and do not cause any permanent damage to your heart or blood vessels. They are caused by the anxiety when consulting with your doctor.

These spikes do not need to be treated. There is no need for any treatment, as they do not impose you to any increased cardiovascular risk.

I would also recommend checking your thyroid hormone levels, in order to make the proper dose adjustments to Synthroid (Levothyroxine), if necessary.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Do you think increasing Xanax before the appointment will help?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiology
#

I would not recommend taking Xanax regularly because it can lead to addiction and tolerance. When consulting with your doctor, I would recommend taking Xanax 0.5. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

I would also recommend avoiding caffeine intake and performing a lot of regular physical activity (walking, aerobics, recreational sports), which can help improve your anxiety too.

Yoga can be really helpful for anxiety. Anyway, in my opinion, you should not worry about this, as long as you have a normal blood pressure during most of the time.

I had sudden chest pain on exercising. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday, I went to college. I took a snack there at 3 PM and after coming home, I had my lunch at 5 PM. At 6 PM, I was doing some pushups at home. Suddenly, I felt a chest pain. After 10 minutes, it increased. So, I went to a hospital. The doctor said that my blood pressure was 159. ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Smit Uttam Janrao

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are exercising just after taking food. Your meal timings are also inappropriate. For your blood pressure, I will advise you three alternate-days BP recording in a calm and quiet surrounding. This can be just a white coat hypertension. Also, do a baseline ECG (elec...  Read Full

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I like to state that the stress and anxiety can affect almost every organ of the body and polyuria is not an exception. In other words, yes the stress can cause almost all the symptoms narrated in your qu...  Read Full

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article