Q. Why do white spots appear on teeth?

Dr. Shwetha Hegde
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2019

I have two small white spots on the lower portion of my front tooth. Can it be removed by microabrasion? Is the procedure worth? Please guide.

#

There are several reasons for the white spots on your teeth.

Usually, white spots appear when the mineral content in the outer part of the teeth (enamel) is less. White spots could also occur due to high fluoride level in the drinking water or nutritional deficiency during teeth development and infections to name a few.

Are the white spots only on the front teeth? Or do you have them on other teeth as well?

Microabrasion certainly does not help whatever the cause of the white spots may be. It just makes the surface of the teeth rough and gives rise to other problems. You could consult your dentist and ask whether bleaching can be done. There are other options like placing a veneer on the surface of the teeth. However, a small part of the tooth surface needs to be abraded to place the veneer.

| 

Why are teeth chipping, cracking, sensitive and sore since pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, Since I was pregnant with my 1-year-old son, my teeth have been chipping, cracking, very sensitive and very sore. I noticed even today. My gums are turning white. Kindly help.  Read Full »

How can dental midline deviation be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female, and I have an issue with my upper teeth. I lost the right canine tooth when I was young, which made my upper front teeth to move to the side. And my front two teeth are a little big. I consulted a local dentist, who said the solution is to take out one normal tooth, that...  Read Full »

My Teeth Are Yellow.Is Scaling Only A Temporary Process To Clean The Teeth?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am 19 years old. My teeth are yellow from childhood (from 10 years of age). A black layer is formed at the backside of teeth. When I see my teeth it seems very dirty and too much of creamy layer is formed on my teeth especially in lower canines and lower incisors. In the lower teeth...  Read Full »