Q. What are the options to correct dental midline shift?

Dr. Prerna Jain
Published on Aug 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 14, 2019

I am a female, and I have an issue with my upper teeth. I lost the right canine tooth when I was young, which made my upper front teeth to move to the side. And my front two teeth are a little big. I consulted a local dentist, who said the solution is to take out one normal tooth, that is, the tooth after my left canine. Then he will put braces to align the other teeth, and he said he will bring my teeth back in the center. I just want to know if there are any other options to correct my teeth. I do not want to loose a good tooth. Can you help me?

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

Without any clinical pictures, it is hard to comment on the situation. However, I will give you some basic facts.

• When a tooth is lost or removed on one side, the rest of the teeth tend to move in that space. Thus shifting the midline to one side. To correct this, there are a few options:
  1. One is to remove tooth on the other side (if indicated by bite) and create space on that side, so that midline can be shifted to the other side.
  2. If there is enough space already (unlikely), only then tooth need not be removed.  Very rarely there is space present to correct the midline shift.
  3. Other ways also include cutting a part of teeth to create space on the other side.
  4. Or teeth are cut, and dental veneers are placed.
  • All options include some form of change to the tooth structure or removing a tooth.

For more information consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

I need a second opinion about my orthodontic treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently having Damon braces for almost a year. I have attached a picture. What do you think about my teeth position, especially, my canine? I think it looks weird. What should be done by my dentist to make it look right?  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Damon braces are a self-ligating system of dental braces and it implicates light forces over the teeth and lets the tooth movement occur in a short time and needs fewer adjustments. The image that you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity), does ...  Read Full

Will other teeth shift if I get a tooth removed for braces?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a misalignment and mild crowding of teeth in upper jaw and have bite issues. I have consulted a maxillofacial surgeon and advised tooth removal prior to braces and removed upper left tooth, probably molar tooth, and advised to consult orthodontist for braces. I want to know whe...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern. Yes, there will be shifting of teeth to fill the gaps and release the crowding by removing teeth. So you do not need to worry anything about the issue if your orthodontist consulted. The shifting will not...  Read Full

Ask an Orthodontist Now