Q. What are the options to correct dental midline shift?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 14, 2019

I am a female, and I have an issue with my upper teeth. I lost the right canine tooth when I was young, which made my upper front teeth to move to the side. And my front two teeth are a little big. I consulted a local dentist, who said the solution is to take out one normal tooth, that is, the tooth after my left canine. Then he will put braces to align the other teeth, and he said he will bring my teeth back in the center. I just want to know if there are any other options to correct my teeth. I do not want to loose a good tooth. Can you help me?

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

Without any clinical pictures, it is hard to comment on the situation. However, I will give you some basic facts.

• When a tooth is lost or removed on one side, the rest of the teeth tend to move in that space. Thus shifting the midline to one side. To correct this, there are a few options:
  1. One is to remove tooth on the other side (if indicated by bite) and create space on that side, so that midline can be shifted to the other side.
  2. If there is enough space already (unlikely), only then tooth need not be removed.  Very rarely there is space present to correct the midline shift.
  3. Other ways also include cutting a part of teeth to create space on the other side.
  4. Or teeth are cut, and dental veneers are placed.
  • All options include some form of change to the tooth structure or removing a tooth.

For more information consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

|