Q. Back of my tongue is milky white in color. Should I be worried?

Dr. Sandeep Menon

I have a milky like white color on my tongue that is more noticeable in the back my tongue should I be worried? I am a non-drinker and smoker.

#

The condition that you mentioned can arise due to a variety of causes. You have not suggested whether it is associated with pain, burning sensation or itching. Let me name a few conditions where the milky white appearance on the tongue is generally seen.

1. Candidiasis associated is with pain and burning sensation at times. Can be scraped off the tongue. Usually occurs in diabetics.

2. Leukoplakia is non-scrappable, painless but can progress to cancerous condition if not treated early.

3. Oral lichen planus is associated with a burning sensation, pain may or may not be present. People with a poor immune system are usually prone.

These are the conditions. But be relaxed. It is completely curable. Make sure you see your doctor as early as possible and have the condition diagnosed. Early intervention and prompt treatment is the best solution.

|