Q. I am suffering from wisdom tooth pain. Is it mandatory to visit a dentist?

Dr. Parth Laxminarayan Iyer

I think one of my wisdom teeth is growing in, and lately, it has been causing a lot of pain. I also notice that part of my gums have been growing over the tooth, and the tooth now is almost completely covered. What can I do for the pain, and should I visit a dentist?

#

I understand your concern. The situation you are in is very likely to be pericoronitis, a soft tissue inflammation of the tissues surrounding an erupting wisdom tooth. You should see the dentist at the earliest as the situation may or may not resolve on its own due to numerous variety of size, shape, and eruption pathway of the wisdom tooth. It may also involve occasional cheek bites and ulcerations. You may use topical anesthetic gel and painkillers until you see the doctor.

| 

The area near the last molar is swollen and painful. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, The area in the end of the last molar is swollen and it is painful. The last molar in the above side of the mouth is coming in contact with that skin below from yesterday. I thought it will be normal in a day and the pain was less in the morning but now it is the same as yesterday nig...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get wisdom teeth removed?

Query: Hello doctor, I have wisdom tooth. Is it necessary to remove it?  Read Full »

Two of my wisdom teeth are impacted. Is it better to remove?

Query: Hi doctor, I visited a dentist and he completed deep cleaning of all four quadrants. I got composite fillings on one side of the mouth for five cavities (right side). However, I still have four cavities on the left side. I have two options. Wait for three more months and take care of it, as my in...  Read Full »