Q. Is it normal to to experience limited mouth opening following wisdom tooth removal?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

I got an impacted wisdom tooth removed a week ago, I am still in a bit of pain and cannot open my mouth wide without a lot of pain and today I keep getting like pinching feelings in my temple, ear and neck on the same side as the extraction and I have bad breath and a yellow tongue and spitting out yellow stuff when I rinse my mouth. It worries me.

#

This is a case of post-extraction trismus which occurs either due to traumatic extraction or wrong injection techniques. First of all, I do not know how much you open mouth, it would have been better if you can send photograph with open mouth at highest.

Coming to your problem, you need to take muscle relaxants for one week like Zerodol MR (Aceclofenac with muscle relaxant) twice daily. You are required to do some exercise like placing ice-cream sticks between teeth till gap is closed. It must be repeated two to three times daily for same period. However, if there is a very small mouth opening and you are not able to eat, then you need to consult oral medicine specialist for mechanical opening of the mouth.

|