Q. I have pain in my wisdom tooth. What should I do?

Dr. Prerna Jain
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 07, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 11, 2019

My wisdom teeth is hurting. There is a big flap covering the tooth, and I think food is stuck in there. Should I get this one removed?

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

This is called pericoronitis. Food gets trapped under the gums. You need to send in pictures and x-ray (orthopantomogram) for a conclusive diagnosis. Two things can be done.

1. At home, you can use a syringe with clean boiled or distilled water or with Betadine (diluted with water) to spray water under the flap and clean it. Also, you can use Chlorhexidine gel topically two times a day to aid in healing.

2. You can get professional scaling in the area. Might even need to remove the flap if it bothers again. It is a very simple procedure done under local anesthesia. Also, get evaluated of you need to get wisdom teeth removed. It may not even be necessary.

Pericoronitis.

What are the reasons for bleeding gums?

Query: Hi doctor, I have bleeding gums over only one tooth. The gums are neither swollen nor painful. But, I have bright red lining just above that tooth when I finish brushing. I would like to stress that it is the only area that bleeds. Also, the next to that tooth I had a root canal treatment before two...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems to be a gum injury, which you had while brushing or infection due to food impaction in that area. It can be also due to the irregular biting relation of the upper and lower canine teeth. It is definitely not related to the nearby root canal treatment. You shou...  Read Full

What to do for swollen and bleeding gums?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a cut in the gum after having some food. Later, I gargled with Listerine and it worsens the condition with swelling. I am having bleeding gums while brushing. I am 35 years old and I am diabetic. Please do the needful.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is called localized peridontitis, which occur sometimes if there was food impaction between the two teeth or some prolonged infection due to plaque and calculus deposition. You should use warm saline gargle thrice a day for a week. Visit a dentist and ask him to cle...  Read Full

Why do I have a lump under the chin?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female, 5' 7", 130 lbs. Generally healthy. I have a small, but firm/rubbery lump under my chin near the front of my neck (sort of the curve where neck and chin meet). It is the size of a large pea. I have been ill with a cold this week and also have generally swolle...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is likely related to current infection, either a cold or tooth infection as it is a draining lymph node for both the sites. So, the site may appear unusual to you but it is possible to get enlarged at the site. Consistency may vary with infection, but it shou...  Read Full