Q. I have pain in my wisdom tooth. What should I do?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 07, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 11, 2019

My wisdom teeth is hurting. There is a big flap covering the tooth, and I think food is stuck in there. Should I get this one removed?

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

This is called pericoronitis. Food gets trapped under the gums. You need to send in pictures and x-ray (orthopantomogram) for a conclusive diagnosis. Two things can be done.

1. At home, you can use a syringe with clean boiled or distilled water or with Betadine (diluted with water) to spray water under the flap and clean it. Also, you can use Chlorhexidine gel topically two times a day to aid in healing.

2. You can get professional scaling in the area. Might even need to remove the flap if it bothers again. It is a very simple procedure done under local anesthesia. Also, get evaluated of you need to get wisdom teeth removed. It may not even be necessary.

Pericoronitis.

| 

What are the reasons for bleeding gums?

Query: Hi doctor, I have bleeding gums over only one tooth. The gums are neither swollen nor painful. But, I have bright red lining just above that tooth when I finish brushing. I would like to stress that it is the only area that bleeds. Also, the next to that tooth I had a root canal treatment before two...  Read Full »

Please suggest ways to manage swollen and bleeding gums.

Query: Hi doctor, I had a cut in the gum after having some food. Later, I gargled with Listerine and it worsens the condition with swelling. I am having bleeding gums while brushing. I am 35 years old and I am diabetic. Please do the needful.  Read Full »

Why do I have a lump under the chin?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female, 5' 7", 130 lbs. Generally healthy. I have a small, but firm/rubbery lump under my chin near the front of my neck (sort of the curve where neck and chin meet). It is the size of a large pea. I have been ill with a cold this week and also have generally swolle...  Read Full »