Q. I had a deep cut on my thumb and getting blisters over the healed spot. Why?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 08, 2020

I had a cut on my thumb from a blade over a month ago. I got steri-strips fitted and it healed up I also got a tetanus shot. Once it healed I kept getting some blisters where the wound was. They popped so I covered it over and have had it like that for some time now. I keep it covered to keep it moist if I take the cover off it dries up. It is not sore to touch and does itch a bit but it seems like taking a long time to heal over with skin. It oozes a bit but again if I leave it uncovered it seems to dry up. I work as an electrician so my hands are constantly in use. Please help.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

How old are you? Did you get sugar tested at any time?

Firstly, this is a large wound now and you should seek the advice of a local doctor in person. There are a few points I would like to raise.

1. Possibility of diabetes should be ruled out if not tested recently.

2. You have to use an antibiotic ointment for local application like Mupirocin or Neosporin or Betadine twice daily. This is to prevent infection.

3. Keep it covered with ointment and sterile gauze. Do not let it get wet. You may clean it with Betadine solution prior to the application of ointment. Cleaning should be gentle and not vigorous.

4. Now it is very important to give it a rest, because if you use it frequently then repeated trauma will prevent healing. If it is absolutely not possible to give it a rest, then use thick padding in order to avoid pressure or trauma to it. Try to use it as less as possible.

5. Make sure, you are not using steroidal ointment or ointment containing steroid components like Mometasone or Beclomethasone or Dexamethasone, etc.

6. Need to have an adequate diet rich in protein, multivitamins, etc.

| 

I am not diabetic. I am 32 years old and I have been using an antiseptic cream on it regularly. There is no pain when I press against it but I do keep it covered all the time.

#

All right, the probable reason for those blisters was an infection. So you have to take daily care of it. You should take into consideration the above points. We have to give some time for healing and prevent the factors which would delay it.

|