Q. I am breastfeeding, and I do not want to get pregnant again. How to take Yasmin pills?

Dr. Ahmed Amdihun Essa
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 29, 2021

I got my periods on the second before two months and then fourth of last month; then ninth of this month. So I assume that I have a 30 to 32 days cycle generally. My husband and I had unprotected sex last week of this month. So are we having any chances of pregnancy? I do not want to get pregnant. When can I start taking contraceptive pills? I have Yasmin with me, and how many doses in a day do I have to take? I have 21 tablets with me. I am feeding as well, so how can I take Yasmin tablets. Currently, I am taking Iron tablets.

#

I have seen your queries about the chance of pregnancy after sex on the 18th day for a 32 to 34 day cycle period. Ovulation always happens 14 days back from the first day of the period, which means you had ovulation on the 18th to 20th day.

1. Therefore, you have some risk (10% - 20% chance) of pregnancy. So watch your period, and if you miss, you can have a urine test or have a blood test early. Then we will act according to the test result about a possible pregnancy.

2. As to contraception, start on the second day of the period or the first if it is usual (amount and type of bleeding).

3. You do not have to take contraception till your next period as you are past the ovulation, and you may have a pregnancy. If you start Yasmin (Ethinyl Estradiol and Drospirenone), you may postpone the next period. I hope you got what you are looking for. Good day.

|